Linux 'reboot' file in /sbin

Post by James Be » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

My reboot file in /sbin seems to have disappeared. shutdown -r now looks
for it there, but can't find it, and I've searched for it in the system
and it doesn't exist. All I can do is halt the system now. Anyone know
where I can get a copy of reboot from? I've tried ftp'ing it from two
different sources. One had the wrong architecture, one gave a segmentation
fault. Is there source somewhere? What should I do? Thanks for any help!

Jim Beno

Linux 'reboot' file in /sbin

Post by John Pricke » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>My reboot file in /sbin seems to have disappeared. shutdown -r now looks
>for it there, but can't find it, and I've searched for it in the system
>and it doesn't exist. All I can do is halt the system now. Anyone know
>where I can get a copy of reboot from? I've tried ftp'ing it from two
>different sources. One had the wrong architecture, one gave a segmentation
>fault. Is there source somewhere? What should I do? Thanks for any help!

>Jim Beno

gee, in my (slakware 2.3, kernel 1.2.13) system /sbin/reboot is a
symbolic link to /sbin/halt.

john

--
'this place is full of yahoos' -- jonathon swift

Linux 'reboot' file in /sbin

Post by Budd » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: My reboot file in /sbin seems to have disappeared. shutdown -r now looks
: for it there, but can't find it, and I've searched for it in the system
: and it doesn't exist. All I can do is halt the system now. Anyone know
: where I can get a copy of reboot from? I've tried ftp'ing it from two
: different sources. One had the wrong architecture, one gave a segmentation
: fault. Is there source somewhere? What should I do? Thanks for any help!
:
: Jim Beno

:

Just write one. . .

try this:

/sbin/shutdown -r now

chown it to root and make permissions 700.

you should have no problems.

Mb

Linux 'reboot' file in /sbin

Post by Mark Levi » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>gee, in my (slakware 2.3, kernel 1.2.13) system /sbin/reboot is a
>symbolic link to /sbin/halt.

  Same here:
cd /sbin
ln -s halt reboot
(as root)

                    Mark E. Levitt
    Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University

         Home Page:  http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt

PGP fingerprint =  B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE  F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html