Weird ThinkPad 560 screen scrolling problem

Weird ThinkPad 560 screen scrolling problem

Post by Olin Shive » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am running X and linux (2.0.26) on a ThinkPad 560. There's a very weird
lossage mode: frequently, my bitmap gets into a mode where its wrapped
horizontally -- the whole bitmap is shifted to the right, with the rightmost
strip of the bitmap appearing at the left edge of the screen.  Every time you
scroll off the bottom of the screen, when the display gets blitted up, it also
shifts right another inch. So as output scrolls down, every couple of lines
it'll jump up *and* right. Very annoying.

Once you get into X, things are stable (shifted or normal). So if you can get
into X with things OK, you're fine for the duration of your X session.

If I power the system down for a while, it'll reset and come up scrolling with
no problems. Quick reboots don't fix the problem. I suspect the problem is
triggered by running the cy9382 program that messes with the origin of the
bitmap when you shift between console and X mode.

I append the first paragraph of this post the way it would look on my
screen when I have the scrolling problem. If you have seen this, or know
why it's happening, I would sure appreciate some advice.
        -Olin

ng X and linux (2.0.26) on a ThinkPad 560. There's a very weird      I am runni
de: frequently, my bitmap gets into a mode where its wrapped         lossage mo
ly -- the whole bitmap is shifted to the right, with the rightmost   horizontal
he bitmap appearing at the left edge of the screen.  Every time you  strip of t
 the bottom of the screen, when the display gets blitted up, it also scroll off
ht another inch. So as output scrolls down, every couple of lines    shifts rig
 up *and* right. Very annoying.                                      it'll jump

1. RedHat 5.2 on Thinkpad 560 - floppy problem

Hello,

        I have installed 5.2 on two desktop machines without a problem, but
I've run into a glitch installing it on a Thinkpad 560.  The installer loads
fine, but when trying to load the supplemental floppy (I don't have a cdrom
for the machine, so an NFS install via my PCMCIA ethernet card
is my only install option) the installer dies in the following way:

mounting fd0 on /tmp/image as type ext2
creating directory /tmp/imag rc = 0
calling mount(/tmp/fd0, /tmp/image, ext2, -1058209791,(nil))
removing device f ile /tmp/fd0
copying 1440 blocks from fd0 to ram2
error reading from device: no such file or directory
mounting ram2 on /tmp/image as type ext2
calling mount(/tmp/ram2, /tmp/image, ...
removing device file /tmp/ram2
cpio expansion failed on file (null),error 3

The floppy looks ok; I can read it on my desktop box, and the directory
structure of the cpio looks ok.  The floppy is an external, and I've heard
that there are wierd problems with thinkpad floppy drives.  I tried
passing floppy=thinkpad to the install kernel via 'linux floppy=thinkpad' but
it gave me a warning while booting that it didn't recognize my heplful hint :\

If anyone can offer assistance on this, I'd be very grateful.

                                Thanks,
                                -Clint

2. fvwm as default?

3. Problem with IBM Thinkpad 560 and Raven PCMCIA CD-ROM

4. Date stamping commands in the shell command history file

5. APM problems with RH6.0 Linux on Thinkpad 560

6. Info needed

7. thinkpad 560 - problem with SCSI PCMCIA

8. RedHat6.0 hangs trying to start X Font Server

9. IBM ThinkPad 560 problem with startx

10. Problems w/FreeBSD on Thinkpad 560

11. Suspend/hibernate problem with Thinkpad 560

12. Thinkpad 560 / PCMCIA Cdrom problem

13. Problems installing Slackware96 on IBM Thinkpad 560