Future Domain TMC-850 scsi card

Post by James Daldr » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have a very simple system I am trying to set up as an "ix" box - 1 3.5
inch floppy, one hard drive (scsi, 640 megs, 100megs partitioned for DOS
and the rest for linux), Cirrus video card, floppy & serail controller,
and the Future Domain card for the hard drive and a NEC CDR-25 cd rom. I
have Debian, Caldera Lite, Red Hat, and Slackware. None have recognized
my SCSI card, either on startup or during probes. What helps
tremendously is the Red Hat dialog box, which has just a flashing
cursor  and NO EXAMPLES or any kind of explanation of the format it
wants you to input the info in. Bios finds the card, it works great
under DOS and Windows (in the last computer setup), and it is still set
for factory defaults, but the probes find nothing. Does anybody out
there have a TMC-850 setup running so he can let me know what brand
wizard's hat to buy?

Jim Daldry

PS.  If you aren't using this card, or haven't set up a system using
this one, please don't answer. I've tried a BUNCH of "generic" answers.

Post by hdo.. » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>under DOS and Windows (in the last computer setup), and it is still set
>for factory defaults, but the probes find nothing. Does anybody out
>there have a TMC-850 setup running so he can let me know what brand
>wizard's hat to buy?

>Jim Daldry

>PS.  If you aren't using this card, or haven't set up a system using
>this one, please don't answer. I've tried a BUNCH of "generic" answers.

Hi,

        I'm not running that card.  :)

        It's sitting on my shelf next to the box for the adaptec that
replaced it.  I had a FD-850 card that came with my CD-Rom drive too
(Chinon external, for anyone keeping tabs).

        Using the Seagate ST-01 driver, and manually specifying the io
and IRQ at boot, I was able to get the card to be recognized, but it
still had timeout problems that rendered it next to useless.  (H/w's
known good - Using the same card/drive under dos/windows worked
flawlessly).   I finally broke down and picked up an Adaptec 1510 at a
swap meet for about $25 usd.  Maybe by tweaking the driver some more,
the time-outs could be resolved;  I'm not such a hot programmer
myself, so the idea of writing a device driver for a SCSI card makes
my * run cold.

        Probably not the answer you wanted, but it does sum up my
experience.

        As always, YMMV..

   Heath

Future Domain TMC-850 scsi card

Post by James Daldr » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but good info
just the same. I guess I can't use my 5 1/4 inch 20 pound monster for a
linux hd until after the next hamfest (sniff).

Jim

> >under DOS and Windows (in the last computer setup), and it is still set
> >for factory defaults, but the probes find nothing. Does anybody out
> >there have a TMC-850 setup running so he can let me know what brand
> >wizard's hat to buy?

> >Jim Daldry

> >PS.  If you aren't using this card, or haven't set up a system using
> >this one, please don't answer. I've tried a BUNCH of "generic" answers.

> Hi,

>         I'm not running that card.  :)

>         It's sitting on my shelf next to the box for the adaptec that
> replaced it.  I had a FD-850 card that came with my CD-Rom drive too
> (Chinon external, for anyone keeping tabs).

>         Using the Seagate ST-01 driver, and manually specifying the io
> and IRQ at boot, I was able to get the card to be recognized, but it
> still had timeout problems that rendered it next to useless.  (H/w's
> known good - Using the same card/drive under dos/windows worked
> flawlessly).   I finally broke down and picked up an Adaptec 1510 at a
> swap meet for about $25 usd.  Maybe by tweaking the driver some more,
> the time-outs could be resolved;  I'm not such a hot programmer
> myself, so the idea of writing a device driver for a SCSI card makes
> my * run cold.

>         Probably not the answer you wanted, but it does sum up my
> experience.

>         As always, YMMV..

>    Heath

Future Domain TMC-850 scsi card

Post by Martin Doehrin » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I've got one system with the 850 running (although it's only being used as a
CD-ROM controller). I had no problem installing it a couple of years back so
I can't remember exactly what I used, although it does have a 2.0.0 kernel
:)
and I think it was a slackware distribution.
I seem to remember that I just had to boot with the correct SCSI kernel and
it just worked.

I do have the driver built into the kernel and when it boots, the driver
says it's
using the following options:
ARBITRATE SLOW _HANDSHAKE FAST32, IRQ 5, address DE00

I've had an external SCSI harddisk attached but don't remember ever booting
off
of it. As to the recognition of the card, doesn't it require the card's ROM
to be
installed for it to be automatically recognized? (the TMC-8xx cards come in
a number of versions, some with ROMs, others without, I've got 3 850's and 1
850M, the one with a MAC 25 pin pinout rather than the Future Domain one)

I did try to load up SUSE 5.2 on that machine, but, in that case, it found
the controller, but couldn't find the CD-ROM  attached to it, so I've just
gone onto
other things. Maybe I  should just try again, hmm, spare SCSI disk under my
desk...

martin

Future Domain TMC-850 scsi card

Post by hdo.. » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Glad I could give something back -

                Heath

>Thanks for the reply. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but good info
>just the same. I guess I can't use my 5 1/4 inch 20 pound monster for a
>linux hd until after the next hamfest (sniff).

>Jim

>> >under DOS and Windows (in the last computer setup), and it is still set
>> >for factory defaults, but the probes find nothing. Does anybody out
>> >there have a TMC-850 setup running so he can let me know what brand
>> >wizard's hat to buy?

>> >Jim Daldry

>> >PS.  If you aren't using this card, or haven't set up a system using
>> >this one, please don't answer. I've tried a BUNCH of "generic" answers.

>> Hi,

>>         I'm not running that card.  :)

>>         It's sitting on my shelf next to the box for the adaptec that
>> replaced it.  I had a FD-850 card that came with my CD-Rom drive too
>> (Chinon external, for anyone keeping tabs).

>>         Using the Seagate ST-01 driver, and manually specifying the io
>> and IRQ at boot, I was able to get the card to be recognized, but it
>> still had timeout problems that rendered it next to useless.  (H/w's
>> known good - Using the same card/drive under dos/windows worked
>> flawlessly).   I finally broke down and picked up an Adaptec 1510 at a
>> swap meet for about $25 usd.  Maybe by tweaking the driver some more,
>> the time-outs could be resolved;  I'm not such a hot programmer
>> myself, so the idea of writing a device driver for a SCSI card makes
>> my * run cold.

>>         Probably not the answer you wanted, but it does sum up my
>> experience.

>>         As always, YMMV..

>>    Heath

1. Future Domain TMC-850 scsi card?

I have recently aquired a Future Domain TMC-850MNEC & NEC CDR-510.
The scsi HOW-TO indicates thatt there is support for that card.  I
can't seem to find it.  Is there a module?  I am running 2.0.7.

I would be thrilled if someone could point me in the right direction.

thanks.

-morgan
--

        http://thunder.ocis.temple.edu/~mjones01
resume: http://thunder.ocis.temple.edu/~mjones01/resume.html

2. What's the best way to timeout uers

3. Linux & Future Domain SCSI card TMC-850

4. PPPD and new 2.4 kernel

5. Help, Future Domain SCSI TMC-850 NOT WORK!

6. bash: scp: command not found (but...)

7. Linux, SCSI CD-ROM, and Future Domain tmc-850 problems

8. Sloooow execl ...

9. Future Domain TMC-850 SCSI Adapter

10. Future Domain TMC-850 and seagate.o

11. Future Domain TM-830 & TMC-850

12. Still having problems: TMC-850 scsi card...

13. TMC-850 scsi card...missing block devices