Upgraded my CPU now graphics modes won't work.

Upgraded my CPU now graphics modes won't work.

Post by Shait » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

        I swaped out my P166 for a Ppro 200  two days ago. I am having
a lot of trouble getting anything that puts the card into a graphics
mode to run. Xfree will start but my monitor just goes bank. Same
thing with Quake. I get sounds but the monitor sort of powers off. Its
like if I try running it in a resolution it doesn't support in
windows. It just goes into a standby mode (To prevent damage I'd
imagine) Until the vid card gets set back to a mode that works with
the monitor. The video card is a diamond stealth 64 with 2M of vram.
The monitor is a 17" CTX. I know Ppros handle video a little differant
than P's do but how do I fix this in linux? Win95 works fine... Runs
even better after I got fastvid.

If you have any ideas, please email me. Is there a Ppro version of an
svgalib file i need or what?

Thanks, cuz I'm stumped.

Everything else works fine tho.

1. X works fine in laptop mode, won't load in docked mode.

Hello. This is my first message here, but I hope it's not my last. I
am a newbie to Linux, but I've taken a couple classes. I apologize if
I misuse a term here or there, but hey, I'm learning. :)

I finally took the plunge and installed Red Hat 7.2  on my computer,
which is a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop. With the help of resources like
linux-laptop.net, I was able to install it just fine. When I use Linux
in laptop mode, everything works great. X loads up fine, KDE looks
wonderful, the whole shebang goes swimmingly.

The problem is when I dock the laptop. Kudzu detects the network
interface built into the dock, and detects the USB mouse plugged into
the hub built into my monitor, a Sony HMD-A400. When it's time for X
to come up, the screen goes black and the power light turns yellow, as
if it is getting no signal.

I went so far as to attempt to install Red Hat with the computer
docked. Using the installation tool, I tried out different resolutions
and color depths with the "test settings" button... Every single one I
tried gives me the black screen, yellow light dead monitor.

It seems like the only conclusion to make is to make is that my
monitor is incompatible with X. I just wanted to get some input from
some more knowlegable people than myself.

Here are some more details about my system which my prove useful: Dell
Inspiron 8000, Pentium III 850MHz, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage Mobility M4 AGP
video card,

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
Eddie Lukin

2. KDE THEME MGR

3. Serial mouse only works during installation in graphics mode, problem with 'serial device driver'

4. NT3.51 or 4 on a PowerPC Mac 7200???

5. HELP: Graphics card won't reset to text mode after running X

6. Using Linux for user authentication

7. Linuxconf won't run in graphics mode

8. !!!Cool Site!!!

9. ultra 2 won't boot with CPU upgrade

10. Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade (AMD K6-2 266)

11. CPU Upgrade - RH6.0 Linux Won't Boot

12. HP-UX: X11 won't start after CPU-Board upgrade

13. Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade