1. X works fine in laptop mode, won't load in docked mode.
Hello. This is my first message here, but I hope it's not my last. I
am a newbie to Linux, but I've taken a couple classes. I apologize if
I misuse a term here or there, but hey, I'm learning. :)
I finally took the plunge and installed Red Hat 7.2 on my computer,
which is a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop. With the help of resources like
linux-laptop.net, I was able to install it just fine. When I use Linux
in laptop mode, everything works great. X loads up fine, KDE looks
wonderful, the whole shebang goes swimmingly.
The problem is when I dock the laptop. Kudzu detects the network
interface built into the dock, and detects the USB mouse plugged into
the hub built into my monitor, a Sony HMD-A400. When it's time for X
to come up, the screen goes black and the power light turns yellow, as
if it is getting no signal.
I went so far as to attempt to install Red Hat with the computer
docked. Using the installation tool, I tried out different resolutions
and color depths with the "test settings" button... Every single one I
tried gives me the black screen, yellow light dead monitor.
It seems like the only conclusion to make is to make is that my
monitor is incompatible with X. I just wanted to get some input from
some more knowlegable people than myself.
Here are some more details about my system which my prove useful: Dell
Inspiron 8000, Pentium III 850MHz, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage Mobility M4 AGP
Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
2. KDE THEME MGR
3. Serial mouse only works during installation in graphics mode, problem with 'serial device driver'
4. NT3.51 or 4 on a PowerPC Mac 7200???
5. HELP: Graphics card won't reset to text mode after running X
6. Using Linux for user authentication
7. Linuxconf won't run in graphics mode
8. !!!Cool Site!!!
9. ultra 2 won't boot with CPU upgrade
10. Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade (AMD K6-2 266)
11. CPU Upgrade - RH6.0 Linux Won't Boot
12. HP-UX: X11 won't start after CPU-Board upgrade
13. Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade