Telnet using VT100,vt100 and Del key

Post by Charles Wilki » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

When I telnet to my RedHat-6.1 or Mandrake-6.1using certain versions
of vt100 or VT100 telnet, I find that the Delete key acts like the
Backspace key. This does not occur if I telnet from another linux box.

Is there a way to correct this for the vt100, VT100 Telnet session?

Feel free to e-mail me direct.
Thanks,
Charles

Telnet using VT100,vt100 and Del key

Post by Raymond Doetje » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

There are 2 solutions for this, first of all most good terminal emulation
software allows you to configure the delete key to act either as a backspace
or a delete. The other solution is to create an extra entry in the termcap
that handles this issue correctly. But that will be a bad thing to do assoon
as you have seen the termcap file :) Besides the problem is that 99% of the
so called VT100 terminal emultaors aren't completly VT100 compliant and the
change keyboard maps and problems with scrolling occur. I suggest that you
get your self a good terminal emulator that allows you to configure your
keyboard (SmartTerm and Reflection can do that also cheaper telnet emulators
from Chameleon handle the Unix VT100 dialext good)

Raymond

Quote:> Hi,

> When I telnet to my RedHat-6.1 or Mandrake-6.1using certain versions
> of vt100 or VT100 telnet, I find that the Delete key acts like the
> Backspace key. This does not occur if I telnet from another linux box.

> Is there a way to correct this for the vt100, VT100 Telnet session?

> Feel free to e-mail me direct.
> Thanks,
> Charles

Telnet using VT100,vt100 and Del key

Post by j » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

try erase stty ^H

Quote:>Hi,

Post by NF Steve » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi,

>When I telnet to my RedHat-6.1 or Mandrake-6.1using certain versions
>of vt100 or VT100 telnet, I find that the Delete key acts like the
>Backspace key. This does not occur if I telnet from another linux box.

>Is there a way to correct this for the vt100, VT100 Telnet session?

Linux's handling of backspace and delete is totally broken.
You need to change the keymaps so that the backspace key
actually generates a backspace character and the delete
key generates a delete character. Add "stty erase ^H" to your
.profile. If you want backspace to work correctly during login
you'll need to either hack mingetty or change the kernel so
that the default erase character is ^H.

Norman

Post by Michael Fische » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> The bash prompt, however, still has the messed up Del key that
> behaves like the backspace key.

> Do you know specifically how to correct this?

These problems can crop up on systems other than Linux.
Re configure you telnet app. I had to do this telneting
to a RH box from Windoze 98. The thing is the app's
preferences/config/what-have-you.

Luck.

Telnet using VT100,vt100 and Del key

Post by Charles Wilki » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Sun, 05 Dec 1999 23:10:45 -0500, Michael Fischer

>> The bash prompt, however, still has the messed up Del key that
>> behaves like the backspace key.

>> Do you know specifically how to correct this?

>These problems can crop up on systems other than Linux.
>Re configure you telnet app. I had to do this telneting
>to a RH box from Windoze 98. The thing is the app's
>preferences/config/what-have-you.

>Luck.

I have tried three different telnet apps and they all do the same
thing.

--Charles

Telnet using VT100,vt100 and Del key

Post by NF Steve » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>Hi Norman,
>Thanks for this tip. It has had a positive effect on the Del key in
>vi. The bash prompt, however, still has the messed up Del key that
>behaves like the backspace key.

>Do you know specifically how to correct this?

I don't use bash myself. There's a good version of the korn shell
(pdksh) which you could use instead.

Norman

Post by Thomas Zaj » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Thanks for this tip. It has had a positive effect on the Del key in
> vi. The bash prompt, however, still has the messed up Del key that
> behaves like the backspace key.
> Do you know specifically how to correct this?

"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[4~": end-of-line
set meta-flag on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on

Works Fine For Me[tm], YMMV. <http://www.ibbnet.nl/~anne/keyboard.html>
might help as well.

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
- Thomas Zajic  <thomasDOTzajicATtelewebDOTat>  Linux-2.0.38/slrn-0.9.5.7 -

1. vt100, vt100-am, vt100-bot-s . . .

I am wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of determining
what the above noted terminal drivers (files?) mean?  Where in the docs
I might find out what the difference between vt100 and vt100-bot-s and/
or at386??  I dial into a UNIX system using a comm program emulating
vt100.  I am curious if I change that if I could introduce color into
the screen display, etc . . .

I've been through most (if not all) man pages on the system for UNIX
and have not found any indication as to what all of the hundreds (thousands) of files might mean.

Any information/help would be greatly appreciated.

-Bill

2. RADIUS Servers for Red Hat Linux

3. terminal is set to vt100 or sun5 - what is vt100 ?

4. LaserPrinters in TCP/IP Networks

5. telnet -e vt100 and ESCAPE key problems

6. How fix lilo warning.

7. Handling diacriticals over telnet using VT100 emulation

8. Linux assigns IRQ3 to COM2 and SCSI card at boot, how can I fix it?

9. Vt100 keys

10. disabling arrow keys for 2.3 vt100

11. VT100 Have Local Print Key ESC Sequence?

12. Why can't I bind delete key (vt100) in tcsh

13. where can I find vt100 equiv keys