Mounting a Mitsumi FX100D 2x CD-ROM

Post by kumbha » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Okie now.. This is what's going on:

I can make the boot, root disks with my cd-rom via the dos drivers.
Obviously while I'm in dos, the linux installation program thinks I'm
worthy (i.e. I have the proprietary(sp?!) interface card) but once I
try to install it from the main menu (after selecting source), I get a
can not mount cd-rom error. Anyone have this problem before and
remember how he resolved it!?

Interface Card Settings:  port 340, irq 10, dma 5
In DOS, I use a non-software polling driver (ends in a E) via an irq.
Works fine.  I was able to load windows, read the intallation disk and
make the boot, root disks very easily.

I was able to partition the linux harddrive and make the swap files and
all. Now all I need is Linux!! hehe. <grumble>

I might not get the response. Thanks.

- Romesh...

Post by Roland Thienpo » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I get a
>can not mount cd-rom error. Anyone have this problem before and
>remember how he resolved it!?

same problem here

Quote:>Interface Card Settings:  port 340, irq 10, dma 5

My settings also

>I might not get the response. Thanks.

Could someone mail a solution in this newsgroup so we all can benefit.

- Roland

Post by Michael Buchenried » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>I get a
>>can not mount cd-rom error. Anyone have this problem before and
>>remember how he resolved it!?
>same problem here
>>Interface Card Settings:  port 340, irq 10, dma 5

The kernel isn't looking for the interface card with these values -
either change the settings to address 0x300, interrupt 11,
or give the actual settings as a commandline option to lilo
during the system's startup routine using the "append:" option.
You may as well edit /usr/src/linux/include/linux/mcd.h manually
to point to your settings and recompile your kernel.

Michael

* Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange *
* UNIX commands and to boldly code where no one has manpage 4...         *

Mounting a Mitsumi FX100D 2x CD-ROM

Post by Jim Parsha » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

says...

Quote:>>I get a

--
OK here are the results that I used to get my Mit FX drive to work.

1. Read the Kernel-how-to

2. Read the CD-ROM how-to

3. D/L the kernel from whereever you got Linux or from your CD.
   (Note I d/l'd the whole thing from ftp.cdrom.com. Took a while
   but that way I had the new version and only got the disk sets
   I needed. A,AP,D,X,XAP to start with.)

4. Make sure that you have GCC 2.5.8 or better (it is in the D set
   of disks of Slackware if that is what you have.)

4. GO into /usr/src/Linux/include/Linux/mcd.h and change the info
   that is listed to yours. ie: 340,10 no DMA is used

5. recompile Kernel using the Mitsumi driver and make SURE that you
   compile with the ISO-9660 fs included other wise no mount for
   CDROM bad....

6. Tada it will work. At least it did on mine. Please make sure that
   you read those how-tos. I have actually printed most of them out
   and put them into a real nice 3" ring binder makes a great set
   of docs. Much better than all the Windows stuff I have since it
   is written by real people for real people not corp techs for who
   knows.

7. Good luck and remember lots of coffee....:)

|    "No thanks, we've got all the government we need" - The Tick     |
|              Babylon 5 - Our last, best, hope for victory!          |

1. Mounting a Mitsumi FX100D 2x CD-ROM

The defaults for the FX001D in Linux are the same as they
are for the controller -- (0x300,10).  DMA is not used.  If you need
to use other values, you can specify them through LILO with a
statement like:

append="mcd=0x634,11"

inside the image section in lilo.conf (and re-run LILO)
or you can edit the macros that specify those values in mcd.h, and
rebuild the kernel.  To get the bootdisk to see non-standard addresses,
enter something like:

ramdisk mount mcd=0x634,11

at the prompt for additional parameters.

Also, you should have an entry in fstab for the device and there
has to be a cd with an ISO9660 filesystem on it in the drive when
you attempt to mount it.

Read the bootdisk, cdrom, and kernel HOWTOs and the LILO manual for
complete info.

Hope that helps.

2. Network Module Not loading

3. Mitsumi CD-ROM 2X Problems

4. [URGENT Mail server Maildir encryption

5. Install Prob: Redhat 7: Mitsumi 2X FX-001D CD-ROM Drive

6. Ultra 66 and RedHat Linux 6.0

7. Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM Drive

8. HACMP, SSA, Concurrent Access, NFS

9. Another nightmare trying to install a 2X MITSUMI CD-ROM Drive!!!

10. Mitsumi 2x CD-ROM drive, IRQ 11 address?

11. Red Hat 7.1 install, Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM woes

12. Bootdisk for 2x MITSUMI CD-ROM

13. Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM