GRUB won't boot 2nd Hard Drive

Post by Alan Rutherfor » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:47:43

I have set up a PC with a master  HD of 40G installed with Red Hat 8.0  and
a secondary master of 10G installed with Windows 2000.

GRUB is the bootloader, but  for some reason I can' boot Windows 2000. I've
also tried using*and this is even worse, because I can't boot either OS.

The BIOS detects both HDs ok.

Have  I missed something somewhere along the line?

any help appreciated

Alan R

Post by Timothy Murp » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 04:19:23

>I have set up a PC with a master  HD of 40G installed with Red Hat 8.0  and
>a secondary master of 10G installed with Windows 2000.
>GRUB is the bootloader, but  for some reason I can' boot Windows 2000.

Might be worth trying "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda".

But I wonder if your grub.conf is correct?
My W2k entry in grub.conf reads:
============================
title Windows 2000
map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
============================

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

Post by Paul Lutu » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 04:30:46

> I have set up a PC with a master  HD of 40G installed with Red Hat 8.0
> and a secondary master of 10G installed with Windows 2000.

> GRUB is the bootloader, but  for some reason I can' boot Windows 2000.
> I've also tried using*and this is even worse, because I can't boot
> either OS.

> The BIOS detects both HDs ok.

> Have  I missed something somewhere along the line?

Yes, you have. In most cases you cannot boot an existing Windows drive
from the slave position. If you had installed Windows in that position,
and if you were careful, you might have succeeded, but not with a
pre-existing Windows installation (installed originally from the master
position).

The easy solution is to put the Windows drive in the master position, run
Linux in the slave position (using your boot disk), and run
"grub-install".

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.veryComputer.com/

GRUB won't boot 2nd Hard Drive

Post by rick » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:22:12

Quote:>> I have set up a PC with a master  HD of 40G installed with Red Hat
>> 8.0 and a secondary master of 10G installed with Windows 2000.

>> Have  I missed something somewhere along the line?

> Yes, you have. In most cases you cannot boot an existing Windows
> drive from the slave position. If you had installed Windows in that
> position, and if you were careful, you might have succeeded, but not
> with a pre-existing Windows installation (installed originally from
> the master position).

I won't comment on Grub, but the stanza below works with LILO on my
Thinkpad.

        other=/dev/hdb1
        optional
        label=windoze
        map-drive = 0x80
            to = 0x81
        map-drive = 0x81
            to = 0x80
        change
            partition = /dev/hda1
                deactivate

The drive referenced at hdb was in fact the factory installed hda. It
now appears on occasion in the removable accessory bay.

The new hda drive has linux on most of it, all but a small DOS
partition at hda1.  I mention this because I think that it is the
existence of this DOS partition that required the explicit
deactivation statement shown.  The partition is still available RW to
windoze as D:

HTH,

rick

Post by Dave Moor » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:07:39

>> I have set up a PC with a master  HD of 40G installed with Red Hat 8.0
>> and a secondary master of 10G installed with Windows 2000.

>> GRUB is the bootloader, but  for some reason I can' boot Windows 2000.
>> I've also tried using*and this is even worse, because I can't boot
>> either OS.

>> The BIOS detects both HDs ok.

>> Have  I missed something somewhere along the line?

>Yes, you have. In most cases you cannot boot an existing Windows drive
>from the slave position. If you had installed Windows in that position,
>and if you were careful, you might have succeeded, but not with a
>pre-existing Windows installation (installed originally from the master
>position).

>The easy solution is to put the Windows drive in the master position, run
>Linux in the slave position (using your boot disk), and run
>"grub-install".

Another approach is to go into your BIOS and set your RH drive to "NONE". Then
it will boot into Windows as the next drive in the sequence. To get back to
RH, change the BIOS back to AUTO for the RH drive.

PGP key available from "http://www.veryComputer.com/~watcher/"

                     Dave Moore

1. BOOTEASY won't boot 2nd hard drive

I found this annoying as well.  It sounds like you have booteasy on the second disk?
I couldn't get that to work eaither even though all the info I could get hold of
said it should.

If you have boot easy on the second disk, I recommend:

     Boot BSD with your boot floppy. (Don't throw the floppy away!!! *8^)  Ever!)
     Run disklabel -B wd2. (This reinstalls the normal boot records.)
     Now it should work.

Good luck,
Paul

2. job for you

3. GRUB won't load Linux now that I've switched hard drives

4. ?partition problem????

5. Lilo & 2 SCSI Drives - Won't boot from 2nd drive

6. SSA Raid +HotSpare for 2Raid5?

7. LinuxPPC won't see my 2nd hard drive.

8. Aztech PCI Galaxy

9. RH8 Grub booting 2nd drive with Win98

10. Red Hat 5.1 installation won't boot off Hard Drive?

11. Ygg Fall CD LILO won't boot from hard drive

12. Q: Won't boot from hard drive

13. SLS a1.5 boot won't find my hard drives