xsane problems!!!

Post by Daz » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 07:01:20

Please could someone help me.
I have configured sane to use my Acer Prisa Acerscan 620U usb scanner.
It uses the agfa snapscan backend and i can scan with xsane as root with no
problems.Infact it does a great job.
My problems start when i want to scan logged in as user. I start xsane
which then probes for the scanner, it then reports "xsane:no devices
available".
Does anyone have any idea what is going on. I can`t find anything directly
related to my problem at the mustang web site or at www.buzzard.org.uk.
As i mentioned everything works great as root.
I am using suse 7.2
Thankyou
Daz.
PS

Please forgive crosspost I was not sure which ng to post this message to if
anybody knows which ng would be able to help please let me know.

xsane problems!!!

Post by Bill » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 06:34:46

> Please could someone help me.
> I have configured sane to use my Acer Prisa Acerscan 620U usb scanner.
> It uses the agfa snapscan backend and i can scan with xsane as root with
> no problems.Infact it does a great job. My problems start when i want to
> scan logged in as user. I start xsane which then probes for the scanner,
> it then reports "xsane:no devices available".
> Does anyone have any idea what is going on. I can`t find anything
> directly related to my problem at the mustang web site or at
> www.buzzard.org.uk. As i mentioned everything works great as root. I am
> using suse 7.2
> Thankyou
> Daz.
> PS

> Please forgive crosspost I was not sure which ng to post this message to
> if anybody knows which ng would be able to help please let me know.

You need to change the permissions on the device file. I don't use usb, so
I am not sure of the naming conventions used (maybe /dev/usb/scanner0),
but the user needs to have read/write access to it. You can either create
a group, put the desired user(s) in the group, and change the group of the
device so that all users in the group have access to it, or...

You can just do a "chmod a+rw /dev/<whatever>", making it accessible to
all users. Less secure, but its your call.

1. xsane problem redhat 7.3

Hi,
I upgraded to RH7.3 and because my xsane was gone I have reinstalled
Sane and xsane (rpm)
Now xsane complains it can't find  any devices. Also scanimage -L  says
there is no device.
But sane-find-scanner says it finds my scanner at /dev/scanner . Also
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
sees my scanner a,b.t.w, Microtek E300+ scsi - scanner
Any idees?
thanks
gr.   Jan

2. FW: Could not login on Ibm Aix DRS6000 server

3. Xsane Plugin with Gimp: PROBLEMS

4. linux sysop needs account while stranded down under....

5. xsane & canoscan 620p problem

6. Slackware 8.0 and securtiy?

7. Agfa SCSI Scanner 1236. Xsane hangs

8. cancel <260620041700348409%zurg@fakeaddress.com>

9. Mustek scanner - Xsane

10. XSane & Red Hat 9

11. unable to scan with xsane and Mustek

12. RedHat v8, Canon USB scanner and Xsane..

13. XSANE - Pb installing EPSON Perfection 1260