Installing RedHat packages with Slackware on

Installing RedHat packages with Slackware on

Post by Shaul Rosenzwei » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

I've installed Slackware some time ago and I am trying to figure out how
to install RedHat packages onto my machine. There should be a way to do
it other then downloading tar files, I have them in rpm, rpg, or
whatever, the RedHat format. I can't remember the name.
         |           Shaul Rosenzweig                         |

         |Jerusalem College of Technology, Machon Lev         |

Post by Pete Sridhara » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

> I've installed Slackware some time ago and I am trying to figure out
> how
> to install RedHat packages onto my machine. There should be a way to
> do
> it other then downloading tar files, I have them in rpm, rpg, or
> whatever, the RedHat format. I can't remember the name.
> --
>          ______________________________________________________
>          |           Shaul Rosenzweig                         |

>          |Jerusalem College of Technology, Machon Lev         |
>          ------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to do the same and this is what I did:
 Redhat uses RPM (Redhat Package Manager) for packaging the software. I
got the rpm.tar.gz from sunsite.unc.edu, unpacked it and built it on my
machine. I installed this rpm package on my slackware linux
installation.
 I did a rpm -initialize and then use this to install rpm packages. Now
when I install rpm packages using rpm on slackware, it will fail when it
checks for dependency of the package on other packages. (the rpm
database is empty) So I have to use either the --force option or -nodep
option to overcome this.
 Alternately, the "rpm" package also provides an "rpmtocpio" command
using which you can convert the package to a cpio and then install.
 Hope that helps.

-pete

1. Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?

I have Linux Redhat 7.3 and I want to install new packages.
I have inserted installation CD1 and started kpackage. The problem is that
this reads only the packages on this CD and not on the other Redhat CDs.

I have used SuSE Linux before. The configuration program YATS allows to
select packages
which are to be installed. Then it requests to insert the correct CD(s).

How can I achieve this using Redhat?

Thanks,
Torsten

2. Can Linux do this?

3. Redhat 6.1 install and freeze after package install

4. Is there an FAQ?

5. slackware package install problem

6. Connecting VT420 terminal to a Linux host

7. Problems installing packages in Slackware 7

8. Noobie question -- running commands at startup

9. Help: cannot install any slackware package on Versa 4080h

10. Pkgtool fra Slackware 1.2.0 won't install new packages

11. How do I install the slackware package from my hard drive?

12. installing 'packages' with Slackware

13. Installing a Debian package into a Slackware box