US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax

Post by bipin vijayasena » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Does any body know whether a US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax will work with
linux or not. Please reply

Many thanks
Bipin

US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax

Post by Dana J. Laud » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Does any body know whether a US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax will work with
> linux or not. Please reply

If it is a Win modem, your out of luck.

Dana

US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax

Post by John E. Garrot » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Does any body know whether a US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax will work with
> linux or not. Please reply

> Many thanks
> Bipin

No.  Go to www.dejanews.com.  Search on
"Winmodem" and "Linux".  Be prepared for lots
of grief.

Sorry,

John

US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax

Post by M. Buchenried » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

>Does any body know whether a US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax will work with
>linux or not.

No, it does not. It will only work in Win95 or Win3.x .

Michael
--

       Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) and Official Net.Scum

US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax

Post by Tur » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

>>Does any body know whether a US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax will work with
>>linux or not.
>No, it does not. It will only work in Win95 or Win3.x .

And my users tell me it doesn't work very well in those either. Basically
it's garbage. Throw it out and get a real modem.

>Michael
>--

>       Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) and Official Net.Scum

--

                     http://seattlemusicweb.com

US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax

Post by Bipi » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

It came along with my Packard Bell computer. Without checking the modem I
bought it. I dont know why a company like Packard bell put such a "garbage" in
their computer.

In any case I lost around $100-200. Now i have to buy a good modem. Any ideas.

Bipin

> >>Does any body know whether a US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax will work with
> >>linux or not.

> >No, it does not. It will only work in Win95 or Win3.x .

> And my users tell me it doesn't work very well in those either. Basically
> it's garbage. Throw it out and get a real modem.

> >Michael
> >--

> >       Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) and Official Net.Scum
> --

>                      http://seattlemusicweb.com

US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax

Post by Rides Development Grou » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

<snip>

Most peripherals that say ("WinXX", like "WinModem") will only work with
Windows because they remove some chips from the modem, then emulate
those functions in a driver (which unfortunately they only write windows
drivers for).  That's why they call them Winmodems.

Linux only supports full modems that have all of the required chips
onboard.  The same for most other peripherals that you find.

- Ken

US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax

Post by David Ript » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

>It came along with my Packard Bell computer. Without checking the modem I
>bought it. I dont know why a company like Packard bell put such a "garbage" in
>their computer.

Packard Bell has a * reputation for putting nothing BUT garbage in
their computers.  :->  FWIH, they almost never get a repeat customer.
(The first x86 machine I owned was a Packard Bell 286-10, BTW.  Wasn't
too bad a machine for 1988.)

Quote:>In any case I lost around $100-200. Now i have to buy a good modem. Any ideas.

The v.90 spec, which is an ITU standard for 56K, is done.  Make sure the
modem you buy supports it, rather than just X2 or K56flex, the two
competing proprietary 56K schemes.  I recommend external modems; they
cost a few bucks more than internal models, but they're easier to
install and to move from machine to machine, have convenient status
lights and power switches, and (important for Linux) are nice friendly
serial devices rather than friendly-only-under-Win95 PnP ISA cards.

USR sometimes has good upgrade deals.  They swapped my 33.6 kbps
Sportster for a 56K model for $60, for example.  I don't know if
they have a Winmodem -> Real Modem upgrade program, but it can't hurt
to ask.  (Make sure to tell them that if they won't give you upgrade,
you'll buy another brand rather than paying full price for one of
theirs.  :-> )

I've pretty much used USR forever.  A Linux-using friend with a clue
recommends Cardinal as a good low-priced brand.  Read comp.dcom.modems
for more info.

--

spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax

Post by rick0.. » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

: Does any body know whether a US Robotics x2 Winmodem Fax will work with
: linux or not. Please reply

Winmodems are 100% Windows-dependent, having omitted from the circuitry
(for cost reasons) key code that is then compensated for in software.

U.S. Robotics _also_ makes decent modems.

--
Cheers,                 "Heedless of grammar, they all cried 'It's him!'"
Rick Moen                       -- R.H Barham, _Misadventure at Margate_