X-windows problem - can't move windows

Post by gk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I start xinit when the xterm comes up, I can't move it or adjust it.
the borders are missing and the min, max, and close buttons at the top are
gone.

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I start xinit when the xterm comes up, I can't move it or adjust it.

What? Why? xinit is not something you want to invoke directly! Let
startx use it.

: the borders are missing and the min, max, and close buttons at the top are
: gone.

Not surprising. Which window manager did you instruct xinit to start?
(hint: you didn't, and please don't). Where do you get the idea you
have to run xinit from?

Solaris?

Peter

Post by Dan Caudl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> : I start xinit when the xterm comes up, I can't move it or adjust it.

> What? Why? xinit is not something you want to invoke directly! Let
> startx use it.

> : the borders are missing and the min, max, and close buttons at the top are
> : gone.

> Not surprising. Which window manager did you instruct xinit to start?
> (hint: you didn't, and please don't). Where do you get the idea you
> have to run xinit from?

> Solaris?

> Peter

I often start X with xinit. I place my windowmanagers in .xinitrc and
just
use it with xinit. Have been for several months. Why shouldn't I?

X-windows problem - can't move windows

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I often start X with xinit. I place my windowmanagers in .xinitrc and
: just
: use it with xinit. Have been for several months. Why shouldn't I?

Because it's stark raving crazy, that's why. People have written
interfaces to run xinit (they're called "startx" and "xdm") for you.
Look in your startx script and you will see that the last thing it does
is

  xinit $clientargs -- $serverargs

having neatly calculated the client side and server side parameters
for you, taking into account all your preferences, the system
preferences and everything else on earth's preferences.

If you want to run xinit, just put the server script you want in
your .xserverrc and the client script you want in your .xinitrc.
Then call startx.

Or at least that's what will happen with my startx, which has

  userclientrc=$HOME/.xinitrc
  userserverrc=$HOME/.xserverrc
  [ -f $userclientrc ] && clientargs=$userclientrc

etc. etc.

Thus, standing on the shoulders of the mighty scriptwriters of
yesteryear, you won't go wrong.

--
Peter

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. XFree86-3.1.2 and CL5436

3. X-Windows windows, dem dam windows!

4. need help with short sed program

5. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

6. Need Xconfig for Dell UltraScan 17ES

7. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

8. Why are QT compilation instructions si broken?

9. Why doesn't X-Windows look as good as MS Windows?

10. Why doesn't X-Windows update windows more often?

11. Exiting X-windows doesn't return me to a text window

12. Can't Resize or Move any windows from X Windows

13. Please help with X-windows setup problem [snow when mouse moves]