How to upgrade SuSE 6.1 to use latest glibc?

How to upgrade SuSE 6.1 to use latest glibc?

Post by Astrobo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have been using SuSE 6.1 since it came out.  I had to install a bunch of
"foreign" RPMs from www.gnome.org to get Gnome and Enlightenment to work OK,
but other than that I'm happy with it.

Recently I bought IBM's Visual Age for Java and found that it only works
with glibc 2.1.x, and SuSE 6.1 uses 2.0.7.  So I'd like to upgrade glibc,
but to avoid deinstalling and reinstalling all of my "foreign" RPMs I don't
want to upgrade SuSE to 6.2.  I'm a little leery of doing this since glibc
is used by so many programs.

Have any of you done anything like this?  What problems, if any, did you
have and how could I avoid them?  Thanks.

1. Upgrade glibc in SuSE 6.1

Dear all,

    I have tried to upgrade my glibc to the latest version. However, I have
failed to do that. Some problem with conflict, compile error.... etc.

    Can you suggest some procedures to me in order to install the new glibc
to my SuSE 6.1?

    Thank you very much.

Arthur.

2. Set group of news server to accept post with attachment

3. SuSe 6.1 - glibc version?

4. solaris upgrade/sybase/performance

5. Upgrade from SuSE 6.1 to 6.2 broke my serial connection

6. Limit number of forked processes

7. Upgrade SuSE 5.0 -> 6.1 killed X, man

8. Getting getty to work

9. upgrading SUSE 5.2 to 6.1

10. Upgrading Redhat 5.x with SuSE 6.1???

11. Binaries of KDE2 for SuSe 6.3, Redhat 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1

12. Problems using Hp Laserjet and SuSE 6.1

13. Problems using GNOME with SuSE 6.1