Kernel Panic:VFS: 03:42

Post by Joe Bott » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Goodness gracious alive! I have not the slightest idea of where to go
now. So far I have installed three differant versions of slackware with
cdu31a cdrom drivers and not one of them will allow me to boot a new
kernel after I finish compiling it. The specs for my computer are as
follows- 486 dx2-66
        16 megs ram
        dev/hda = 420megs = dos
        dev/hdb1 & 2 =520megs linux native & linux swap
I use a boot disk to bring up linux and dos is on the bootup. When I
compile new kernels it appears that all goes well, zImage goes well, and
I ussually have made zImage boot disks to boot with. Then it happens,
VFS: Cannot open root device 03:42
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:42.
I have also changed the Makefile to read- ROOT_DEVICE = /dev/hdb2 which
is where I have my linux native mounted and is e2fs. The only thing that
I havn't done I think is to change harddrives. I'm not sure if the fact
that I have 1048 sectors on my drive matters or not because I have heard
of people using more than 1024. Possibly it does. If anyone can give me
some insight as to the problem I will be very grateful.
 thanks,
    Joe

Kernel Panic:VFS: 03:42

Post by Klaus Syttk » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: VFS: Cannot open root device 03:42
: Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:42.

what kernel version do you use?
I had a very annoying problem with a kernel 1.2.13 (it seems to have
been corrected in kernels 2.xx):
As, during bootup, the kernel has no idea about the fs-type of the root
partition, it tries to guess the fs-type from a so called 'magic number'
in the superblock.
The minix driver comes first.
Unfortunately, the place where minix fs put their magic numbers was reused
to contain the free inode count in a ext2 fs.
This will almost never cause difficulties....
Have you ever tried to boot a boot/root disk set and mount your root
partition manually?
If this works, just delete a couple of stale, unwanted files and have
another try.

Good luck,

Klaus.

1. Kernel panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:42

hello, hello,
  I am stumped again.  today i got the new InfoMagic 4 CD set.
I backed up all my critical files and did a new install.
the installation works fine; i can get on the net, etc.
I did not have use of my 3c509 card nor my MSbusmouse.
so, i configured them and built a new kernel.  and using 'zdisk' as i have
been doing for a long time, built a boot floppy.
booting from the floppy, it gets almost all of the way throught when i get

Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:42

any clues as to what i should look for ?   any guidance ?  am i hosed ?

should i throw away this 1.2.1 kernel and go back to 1.0.8 ?

2. Colours

3. kernel panic: unable to mount root fs on 03:42

4. Newbie with Solaris 8 boot problems

5. Kernel panic (unable to mount fs on 03:42)

6. Absolute value in awk

7. Boot from loadlin fails: VFS: Cannot open root device 03:42

8. How to mount ntfs 2000 in rw mode?

9. Help: Kernel Panic:VFS: Unable to mount root, after rebuilding kernel

10. kernel panic, VFS

11. Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 0:1:00

12. Kernel panic VFS

13. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs...