Any X-Clients available , which can run from windows can contact the linux boxes?

Any X-Clients available , which can run from windows can contact the linux boxes?

Post by v.nagasriniva » Fri, 25 May 2001 21:41:35

Hi,
        I am running SuSE6.3 linux, its there in the LAN with KDE.
But from windows , doing through telnet VT100 terminal emulation
is bit painful ( not handy).
        Like recently i saw windows Terminal Emulators for 2000,
like that any good X-clients available , which can run
from windows boxes, and should emulate the screen like KDE or
good graphical usage with mouse...

Can any one help me out with resources..

thanks in advance...
regards,
srinivas
--
v.naga srinivas
YVL SoftwareConsultancy,

--
Posted from ns.stph.net [196.12.32.2]
via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.veryComputer.com/

Any X-Clients available , which can run from windows can contact the linux boxes?

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 25 May 2001 22:12:47

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,
>         I am running SuSE6.3 linux, its there in the LAN with KDE.
> But from windows , doing through telnet VT100 terminal emulation
> is bit painful ( not handy).
>         Like recently i saw windows Terminal Emulators for 2000,
> like that any good X-clients available , which can run
> from windows boxes, and should emulate the screen like KDE or
> good graphical usage with mouse...

Actually, what you want is an X *SERVER* for Windows, not an X client.
(X clients are the programs that display information; X servers provide
a screen, keyboard, and mouse for X programs.) I believe there's a port
of XFree86 to Windows, but the last I checked it was pretty crude. Check
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/ for more information. The best
"bang for the buck" I've found in Windows X servers is Xmanager
(http://www.netsarang.com/products/xmanager.html). This product is $69
and does a remarkably good job, in my experience. You can try an
evaluation version. MicroImages has a comparison chart with links to
many others at http://www.microimages.com/mix/prices.htm. (They have one
for $25, but I've not used the 3.0 version, only older 1.x versions, and
they were pretty minimal.)

Another option is to use VNC
(http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html). This doesn't use X
protocols for the Windows/Linux communication. Instead, it runs a
custom X server on the Linux box. This server doubles as a VNC server
to which a VNC client on the Windows box connects. VNC's biggest
advantage in this context is that it's free (GPLed, IIRC). It can also
be used to control Windows from Linux. VNC tends to be slower and have
more glitches than the better X servers, though.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Any X-Clients available , which can run from windows can contact the linux boxes?

Post by Frank Hollman » Fri, 25 May 2001 21:16:03

Hi,

try oout "putty". The url is:

regards

frank

> Hi,
>         I am running SuSE6.3 linux, its there in the LAN with KDE.
> But from windows , doing through telnet VT100 terminal emulation is bit
> painful ( not handy).
>         Like recently i saw windows Terminal Emulators for 2000,
> like that any good X-clients available , which can run from windows
> boxes, and should emulate the screen like KDE or good graphical usage
> with mouse...

> Can any one help me out with resources..

> thanks in advance...
> regards,
> srinivas

Any X-Clients available , which can run from windows can contact the linux boxes?

Post by David Dorwar » Sat, 26 May 2001 02:03:11

It seems that on Thu, 24 May 2001 13:41:35 +0100, someone claiming to be

Quote:> Hi,
>         I am running SuSE6.3 linux, its there in the LAN with KDE.
> But from windows , doing through telnet VT100 terminal emulation is bit
> painful ( not handy).

Try getting cygwin from redhat.com, the windows ssh client is rather
nicer then telnet.

Quote:>         Like recently i saw windows Terminal Emulators for 2000,
> like that any good X-clients available , which can run from windows

That would be an X Server. The server displays teh graphics, the clients
are the programs that display on them. There are x servers for windows,
but they are rather expensive. I have seen this
http://freshmeat.net/projects/weirdx/ but have never had much luck
getting it to run myself.

Quote:> boxes, and should emulate the screen like KDE or good graphical usage
> with mouse...

That sounds more like you want VNC. Servers and clients are available for
both Linux and Windows. Its a little tricky to explain, but you can see
the website for screenshots:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Quote:> Can any one help me out with resources..

--
David Dorward                               http://www.dorward.co.uk/
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink

1. Any X-Clients available , which can run from windows can contact the linux boxes?

Hi,
        I am running SuSE6.3 linux, its there in the LAN with KDE.
But from windows , doing through telnet VT100 terminal emulation
is bit painful ( not handy).
        Like recently i saw windows Terminal Emulators for 2000,
like that any good X-clients available , which can run
from windows boxes, and should emulate the screen like KDE or
good graphical usage with mouse...

Can any one help me out with resources..

thanks in advance...
regards,
srinivas
--
v.naga srinivas
YVL SoftwareConsultancy,
B4,Q1,6th floor,
CyberTowers,Hi-Tec city,
Madhapur,Hyderabad-500033
Andhra Pradesh State
INDIA.
ph(office):091-040-3110200
visitme http://www.nagasrinivasv.com

v.naga srinivas
YVL SoftwareConsultancy,
B4,Q1,6th floor,
CyberTowers,Hi-Tec city,
Madhapur,Hyderabad-500033
Andhra Pradesh State
INDIA.
ph(office):091-040-3110200
visitme http://www.nagasrinivasv.com

--
Posted from ns.stph.net [196.12.32.2]

2. is getaddrinfo memory leak?

3. Hypercube routing

4. It's not bad canned meat...

5. Problem starting gvim

6. Problems w/ LILO/zImage 1.1.93

7. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

8. CGI: apache canned response

9. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

10. Canned "ping"

11. Any Canned Class code?