Slackware bare.i won't boot

Post by Ricky Cheun » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Slackware from the sunsite ftp site
onto my Ambra 486 SLC2 50Mhz.  Using a Pentium running
win98, I created the boot disk containing the file
bare.i with RaWrite 1.3.  Unfortunately, when I try to
boot my Ambra with the newly created boot disk, it just
hung.  I repeated the boot disk creating process with
different disks but didn't get anywhere.  Does anyone know
why this is happening?  Thanks.

Slackware bare.i won't boot

Post by Brian Lavend » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

bare.i is used on machines which have an IDE CDROM. That sounds like
an older machine which may run it through the soundcard. But of course
if that is the correct boot kernel make sure you use rawrite from dos
mode. shut down your machine into dos. I have had problems when not in
dos mode when creating boot disks.

brian
----------------
Brian Lavender
Sacramento,CA
Brie Business Directory - Napa Valley     http://www.veryComputer.com/
(916) 443-6195

"I hate to advocate *, *, *, or insanity to
anyone, but they've always worked for me."
                                -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote:>Hi all,

Post by Chris Bro » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> bare.i is used on machines which have an IDE CDROM. That sounds like
> an older machine which may run it through the soundcard. But of course
> if that is the correct boot kernel make sure you use rawrite from dos
> mode. shut down your machine into dos. I have had problems when not in
> dos mode when creating boot disks.

bare.i is used to boot bare systems that have an IDE interface,
whether you have a CD-ROM or not. I think the problem may lie with the
fact that this is a proprietary computer, and may not like having anything
that isn't Micro$lop or IBM software on it.

Quote:>>Hi all,

--
"Do you know a seagull?                     -- Finger for PGP Public key --

 Do you know a stony beach?
 Do you know a raging wind?   Are you tired of the tide?" -Rudimentary Peni

Slackware bare.i won't boot

Post by Bjarne Nygaar » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I'm trying to install Slackware from the sunsite ftp site
> onto my Ambra 486 SLC2 50Mhz.  Using a Pentium running
> win98, I created the boot disk containing the file
> bare.i with RaWrite 1.3.  Unfortunately, when I try to
> boot my Ambra with the newly created boot disk, it just
> hung.  I repeated the boot disk creating process with
> different disks but didn't get anywhere.  Does anyone know
> why this is happening?  Thanks.

Hello Ricky,

You must have both the 'boot disk' AND 'root disk' which
you have to select for your specific machine configuration.
It is a 2 step process.

I normally use bare.i and color.gz on the diskettes. (I have IDE drive
and vga monitor) .

rgds
Bjarne

1. slackware: bare won't fit in floppy

This is surely a silly question, but here I go anyway:

I just downloaded bare.gz and color144.gz from ftp.cdrom.com (in
binary mode).  This is what I get when uncompressed,

-rw-------   1 abouzas  1474560 May  8 05:48 bare

and a similar figure for the rootdsk.  That simply won't fit on a
single 1.44 floppy.  Should I assume file transmission errors?  (It's
the second time I download it, and both times the same thing
happened.)

Writing it on a floppy with "dd" on a Sun gives, sure enough, "80+0
blocks out"  Perhaps I should change the output block size to a value
different from 18k to try and squeeze it in?  Nah...

Thanks in advance,
A. Bouzas

(please post to my mailbox, I don't have Usenet access. Thanks.)

2. XF86Config for IBM 600X Thinkpad

3. Slackware 2.20 -- can't boot from bare.gz

4. Configuring AIX for Oracle

5. slackware 2.0.30 bare.i kernel doesn't boot on...

6. Windows 3.1 under DOSEmu??

7. cannot find Pioneer DR-UA124X CD-ROM (PnP) at boot time

8. Slackware 3.2 - Cannot boot from bare.i boot disk - Pentium 266/AMI Bios

9. Slackware boot disk won't boot.

10. Slackware Boot disk won't boot

11. slackware boot disk won't boot

12. Problem installing Slackware 2.1.0 ('bare' hangs)