Repartitioning for Win95 and Linux on a SCSI HD

Repartitioning for Win95 and Linux on a SCSI HD

Post by Lane Giardin » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Someone enlighten the ignorant, please.

I just purchased a P-II 266 with a 6.4 SCSI HD.  Win95 came pre-loaded.  I
would like to repartition the drive for both Win95 and Linux (what version
I'm not quite sure, and that shows you just how shiny my beginner's badge
is).

Is this possible?  What is the easiest way to go about it?

Thanks to anyone who can help me on this.

Lane

Post by Everard Brow » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Someone enlighten the ignorant, please.

> I just purchased a P-II 266 with a 6.4 SCSI HD.  Win95 came pre-loaded.  I
> would like to repartition the drive for both Win95 and Linux (what version

Most (if not all) Linux distributions come with FIPS this should allow
you to recalaim part of your disk for the Linux partition/installation.
You only have to defrag your disk before using it.

I've tried it (it's pretty straight forward), with no problems.

You'll need around 50Mb - 2Gb depending on how much of the OS you
require and what other applications you want to add on, eg. X-Windows,
databases, web server etc.

Hope this helps...

Post by Jamie Hunte » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

--------------58AF0EFD99CB9FEAF29A058E

> Someone enlighten the ignorant, please.

> I just purchased a P-II 266 with a 6.4 SCSI HD.  Win95 came
> pre-loaded.  I
> would like to repartition the drive for both Win95 and Linux (what
> version
> I'm not quite sure, and that shows you just how shiny my beginner's
> badge
> is).

Good Idea!

Quote:> Is this possible?  What is the easiest way to go about it?

You need a program called "fips" I have attached it to this message
(I think it is free to distibute? I only have this exe - do fips.doc as
mentioned
at startup [you'll see what I mean]).

This little program can create new partions from the unused space on
thedrive.

done!

Quote:> Thanks to anyone who can help me on this.

> Lane

Good Luck

Jamie

--

Objective Software Technology Ltd | Tel:   +44-(0)-1506 472238
1 Michaelson Sq, Kirkton Campus   | Fax:   +44-(0)-1506 472219

--------------58AF0EFD99CB9FEAF29A058E

<encoded_portion_removed>
+AIAAAACRRAAAAAQExkAAAAQoSUAAAEgdgfVBgAQsgQAAA==

Post by Nathan Johnso » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > I just purchased a P-II 266 with a 6.4 SCSI HD.  Win95 came
> > pre-loaded.  I
> You need a program called "fips" I have attached it to this message
> (I think it is free to distibute? I only have this exe - do fips.doc as
> mentioned
> at startup [you'll see what I mean]).

> This little program can create new partions from the unused space on
> thedrive.

Being a newbie myself, please excuse me if I'm totally wrong.  However, it
was my understanding that FIPS didn't work with FAT32 drives, which this
new computer is probably running with Win95.  The reason that I imply this
is because I saw somewhere talk of updating FIPS to work with FAT32 drives,
and that it hadn't been done yet.  Maybe I have old info, or maybe FIPS
doesn't care what file systems you're using.  If this is the case, and you
know for sure, please respond to me, as I have FAT32 and was afraid to use
FIPS.  I manually formatted my HD to get my partitions set up using FDISK,
but I would like to change them now.

1. lilo.conf request for one SCSI HD - Win95/Linux

:      I ran the liloconfig script and installed lilo, with linux as the
: first partition.  When I boot, I get
:
: L0202020202...  (ad infinitum)

I'm having the same problem!

I've tried many settings to get beyond the problem, but to no avail.
I'm running a Dell Dimension P90t, with an HP SureStore 1000S+ (C3724
Series) 1.2G internal SCSI drive (it's the only hard-drive on the
system), SCSI CD-ROM drive, and an AHA-1542 SCSI card.  I previously
installed DOS and Windows95, but for right now I'm only concentrating
on Linux (I can wipe out the other operating systems, if that will
help fix the problem).

Also, I'd like to know whether or not I should be configuring Linux's
fdisk to see the SCSI drive the same way DOS sees it <assuming I
eventually want DOS installed too> (c=146,h=255,s=63) -- I get "Error
parameters to match DOS.

I'm using the "scsi" boot disk and the "color" root disk from the
walnut creek slackware 3.0.0 CD-ROM set (and installing only the "A"
set from the cd-rom).  Also, upon a suggestion from someone, I've also
tried copying "/cdrom/slaktest/q14/scsi.tgz" to "/" and issuing
"pkginstall scsi.tgz" before running LILO -- nothing changed.

One last point... I have seen the "L020202..." problem both when
installing on the root partition (setting DOS' MBR loader to point to
the linux partition as the active partition) as well as when installing
LILO in the MBR.  It's quite possible I just don't understand what I'm
doing, so any suggestions, pointers, and/or help would be greatly
appreciated!

Sincerely,

-Brian

Brian Moyle
Advanced Storage Development/Sony Electronics Inc.
Mail Drop: SJ-3B2
3300 Zanker Road
San Jose, CA 95134-1940
Phone: 408-955-5698
Fax:   408-955-5066

2. Internetworking problems......

3. sessreg for Solaris available

4. repartition away win95 in favor of linux

5. font/color combos for xterm, rxvt, etc

6. How do I enable root login via telnet on Solaris 2.3?

7. To boot with SCSI HD and Linux on IDE HD

8. adaptec 2940 UW + SCSI HD +linux 2.0.18 + ext SCSI ZIP drive ?

9. How can I get Linux 2.4 to see my SCSI HD and SCSI CDROM?

10. Howto repartition a FAT-32 HD...???

11. Problems with Repartitioning Conner HD