Adaptec 1520i with Panasonic CD/PD drive and 4x Oak CD-ROM install HELP!!

Adaptec 1520i with Panasonic CD/PD drive and 4x Oak CD-ROM install HELP!!

Post by gung.. » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Folks,
        I have a Cyrix 6x86 p166 CPU, 2 IDE Western Digital HD's, a
Pain-in-the-sonic CD/PD drive connected to an Adaptec SCSI 1520-i card
configured to IRQ12, address 140c, and a plain old Oak 4x CD-Rom
Drive.  I bought the "Complete Linux Toolkit" thinking that as a
newbie I'd avoid some of the install hassle that goes along with
Linux.  Go on and chuckle, I don't mind.  One month later I still
cannot access either of my CD-roms, and I am just about ready tear my
hair out.  Please, if anyone can help me install one or both of my
CD-ROM Drives, I would be most grateful.  The PD I halfway expect to
be uninstallable, since it is a semi-* piece of hardwarde that
acts as both a Magnetic-Optical Drive and an ordinary 4x CD-er.
        The problem I'm having is that after obtaining the boot
floppies and booting up the Slackware install menu, It will not
acknowledge any drives but the two IDE's.  I should mention that
they're both chained to the Primary IDE motherboard interface as
Master and Slave drives.  the Oak CD-ROM has the Secondary IDE
motherboard port all to itself, and the SCSI Panasonic is on a VLB
slot.  The  Oak CD-ROM is set to IRQ 15 I believe.  Help!! TIA,
        Andrew Ness

1. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

3. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

4. Tools/IDE for C/C++ running on REDHAT.

5. Help! Panasonic 4x CD-ROM

6. Virtual Host Not Working

7. Panasonic PD Drive - Multi-session CD Roms

8. Colorado Tapes

9. Panasonic PD 650Mb optical and CD/ROM drive

10. panasonic pd-cd rom drive and Linux

11. Panasonic CD-503 SCSI CD-ROM drive support

12. bootdisk cant recognize my SCSI-CDROM (Panasonic/NEC PD/CD-ROM) (Slakware2.3)

13. bootdisk cant recognize my SCSI-CDROM (Panasonic/NEC PD/CD-ROM) (Slakware2.3 and 3.0)