Is auto-login possible ?

Post by Ian » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:51:42

Is there any way to get linux to auto-login.

I want an unattended machine that after a power failure, it will boot, login
and run a program.
(It boots to runlevel 5 with KDE running)

BR,
Ian G

Is auto-login possible ?

Post by dav.. » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:04:02

> Is there any way to get linux to auto-login.

Sure. I think that the default of distribution like Lindows or Mandrake
is auto-login as root...

Quote:> I want an unattended machine that after a power failure, it will boot, login
> and run a program.

Well, you can run a program without login.

Davide

Is auto-login possible ?

Post by Larry Ebbit » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:54:49

Quote:> Sure. I think that the default of distribution like Lindows or Mandrake
> is auto-login as root...

Very bad idea!!  Here, cracker,cracker.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux(Cntr #80621) + OS/2 - Atlanta

Is auto-login possible ?

Post by Johan Lindquis » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:59:17

Wed, 21 Aug 2002 at 14:54 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

>> Sure. I think that the default of distribution like Lindows or
>> Mandrake is auto-login as root...

> Very bad idea!! Here, cracker,cracker.

A "cracker" with physical access to your box will break it regardless
if you log them in or not, however the autologin certainly is a bad
idea to begin with and a worse idea if it always logs you in as root.

Probably, like many other bad ideas in this area, designed to cater
for the ms windows mindset. Even a blank password for granny would be
better if she can't remember one.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  3:46pm  up 1 day, 14:52,  3 users,  load average: 3.87, 3.59, 2.59

Is auto-login possible ?

Post by Ian » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:17:57

> Wed, 21 Aug 2002 at 14:54 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

> >> Sure. I think that the default of distribution like Lindows or
> >> Mandrake is auto-login as root...

> > Very bad idea!! Here, cracker,cracker.

> A "cracker" with physical access to your box will break it regardless
> if you log them in or not, however the autologin certainly is a bad
> idea to begin with and a worse idea if it always logs you in as root.

> Probably, like many other bad ideas in this area, designed to cater
> for the ms windows mindset. Even a blank password for granny would be
> better if she can't remember one.

There will only be physical access by authorised personnel.
The 'login-and-run-a-program' is because a graphical user interface must be
started.
The login would be on a user account (not root), but the people with
physical access to the system would have the root password anyway. (P.S.
there is NO keyboard, just a touch-screen!)

How do I setup the auto-login then ;-)  ???

BR,
Ian G

Is auto-login possible ?

Post by Linuxuse » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:48:51

Quote:> The login would be on a user account (not root), but the people with
> physical access to the system would have the root password anyway.

I'd look into "sudo" rather than handing out root password.

Is auto-login possible ?

Post by dav.. » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 02:08:35

> How do I setup the auto-login then ;-)  ???

See http://users.jagunet.com/~kodis/autologin/autologin.html

Davide

Is auto-login possible ?

Post by Lee Sau Da » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:08:43

    Ian> Is there any way to get linux to auto-login.  I want an
    Ian> unattended machine that after a power failure, it will boot,
    Ian> login and run a program.  (It boots to runlevel 5 with KDE
    Ian> running)

You don't need to login just to run a program.  See 'man inittab'.

Is auto-login possible ?

Post by Lee Sau Da » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:11:18

    Ian> There will only be physical access by authorised personnel.

Not an excuse for auto-login.

    Ian> The 'login-and-run-a-program' is because a graphical user
    Ian> interface must be started.

That's an independent issue.  Haven't you noticed that all the daemons
are started after  a reboot, regardless of whether it  boots up with a
GUI and whether someone is logging in?

    Ian> The login would be on a user account (not root),

"man su".

    Ian> but the people with physical access to
    Ian> the system would have the root password anyway. (P.S.  there
    Ian> is NO keyboard, just a touch-screen!)

Not having a keyboard doesn't make it secure.

    Ian> How do I setup the auto-login then ;-) ???

Why  insisting on  auto-login when  you  can start  a program  without
login?  "man inittab" and "man su".

Is auto-login possible ?

Post by mjt » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 05:55:11

1. AUTO-LOGIN! IS IT POSSIBLE?

I am looking to automatically login certain users on startup.  Is there a
way that I could modify my rc.local or some other file to allow me to dictate
what console (ie tty1-tty8) would automatically login a users everytime at
startup?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

csh

2. LINUX VS Other Operativesystems

3. How can I auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

4. remsh

5. How to auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

6. A very mysterious display ? problem

7. TERM auto-login script.

8. Modem is "busy"

9. How to do auto-login of ftp?