SBLIVE driver problem

SBLIVE driver problem

Post by Greg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Howdy!
I know people ad nauseum about problems installing their Soundblaster Live,
but I have one more...

I've downloaded what I believe to be the correct drivers from Creative's web
site.  After performing the "make" I followed the directions exactly as
listed in the README.  However, on the last step, when I load the driver, I
get this message:

No dependency information for module
"/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/misc/emu10k1.o".

I can't seem to get past this.  What am I doing wrong?

BTW...RH6.1 if it matters.

Greg

 
 
 

SBLIVE driver problem

Post by moe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I had the same problem till I updated the kernel, then i had the same
problem again. Until I noticed a little dir instead of misc, called sound. I
copied the file into that folder. did a menuconfig unchecked all the sound
cards blah blah blah
make
make dep
make clean
make zImage
cp zImage
lilo
reboot, wham it saw it, now i dont mess with it anymore. took me a week to
figure it out
Ohh be nice and use a working email.

Quote:> Howdy!
> I know people ad nauseum about problems installing their Soundblaster
Live,
> but I have one more...

> I've downloaded what I believe to be the correct drivers from Creative's
web
> site.  After performing the "make" I followed the directions exactly as
> listed in the README.  However, on the last step, when I load the driver,
I
> get this message:

> No dependency information for module
> "/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/misc/emu10k1.o".

> I can't seem to get past this.  What am I doing wrong?

> BTW...RH6.1 if it matters.

> Greg


 
 
 

SBLIVE driver problem

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


: Howdy!
: I know people ad nauseum about problems installing their Soundblaster Live,
: but I have one more...

: I've downloaded what I believe to be the correct drivers from Creative's web
: site.  After performing the "make" I followed the directions exactly as
: listed in the README.  However, on the last step, when I load the driver, I
: get this message:

: No dependency information for module
: "/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/misc/emu10k1.o".

: I can't seem to get past this.  What am I doing wrong?

What are you doing? You didn't say.

This looks like the result of using modprobe.  Man modprobe, then run
depmod -a to set up the dependency info.  Look at the Modules HOWTO
too.  It'll tell you what you are doing.

If it were me sitting there I'd use insmod to load the driver, instead
of modprobe, and recursively use insmod to load whatever it depended on
if it complained. As I remember, the emu10k1 module is a bit of a
nuisance because it _exports_ symbols that other drivers need, thus
messing up depmod results. You won't notice that, however, since you
probably only have one sound card.

Peter

 
 
 

SBLIVE driver problem

Post by torp » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


about the soundblaster live driver, you have to notice that it won't work on
ect. Red Hat 6.1, which is using a kernel that is newer than 2.2 (correct me
if i am wrong)
that's what the readme thats comes along with the driver,sayes anyway...

hope i could be of any help

torp

 
 
 

SBLIVE driver problem

Post by Bill Waddingto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




Quote:

> about the soundblaster live driver, you have to notice that it won't
work on
> ect. Red Hat 6.1, which is using a kernel that is newer than 2.2
(correct me
> if i am wrong)
> that's what the readme thats comes along with the driver,sayes
anyway...

> hope i could be of any help

> torp

Hello,

I can report that I'm using the SB live driver with RH 6.1.  It works
just fine.  I forced it to load, ignoring version incompatibility (in
spite of their warnings not to).  No problems.

Bill

--
Bill Waddington


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

SBLIVE driver problem

Post by Ben Ne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> about the soundblaster live driver, you have to notice that it won't work on
> ect. Red Hat 6.1, which is using a kernel that is newer than 2.2 (correct me
> if i am wrong)
> that's what the readme thats comes along with the driver,sayes anyway...

> hope i could be of any help

> torp

I use RH 6.1 with Linux kernel 2.2.11-22, and the emu10k1 drivers from Creative
worked fine.  I just compiled them and installed them as a module using "insmod
emu10k1".  I did have problems with the ALSA drivers, though.
 
 
 

SBLIVE driver problem

Post by Greg Lime » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> > about the soundblaster live driver, you have to notice that it won't work on
> > ect. Red Hat 6.1, which is using a kernel that is newer than 2.2 (correct me
> > if i am wrong)
> > that's what the readme thats comes along with the driver,sayes anyway...

> > hope i could be of any help

> > torp

> I use RH 6.1 with Linux kernel 2.2.11-22, and the emu10k1 drivers from Creative
> worked fine.  I just compiled them and installed them as a module using "insmod
> emu10k1".  I did have problems with the ALSA drivers, though.

This is beginning to get depressing -- I've installed Mandrake 6.5
(which I think is based on RH 6.1? Not sure) but built the Linux
2.2.14 kernel from scratch, and still am having problems with my
Soundblaster Live! card.

Both the "emu10k1" driver and the OSS driver (I'm willing to pay to
get this card working!) have the same problem ... analog passthru
(playing CD, gating the microphone to the speakers) works, but the WAV
device just gives me a high pitched hum (different pitch depending on
the sound file, and length seems appropriate for the sound file).

I've ruled out failure of the card hardware (win98 talks to it fine)
and the configuration between win98 and linux is consistant (x1800,
irq5).

I DL'd the eval OSS driver assuming it would be better, but if the
only remaining problem is the same between emu10k1 and oss, I'll take
the cheaper alternative. Any ideas on what might be going on here? Or
should I get OSS into the loop? I'd like to use the "emu10k1" driver
if possible, since I already have it's source at hand.

-- Greg Limes

 
 
 

SBLIVE driver problem

Post by woo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


hi, Greg

can you tell me where i can download the linux driver for SBlive.

thanks




> > > about the soundblaster live driver, you have to notice that it won't work on
> > > ect. Red Hat 6.1, which is using a kernel that is newer than 2.2 (correct me
> > > if i am wrong)
> > > that's what the readme thats comes along with the driver,sayes anyway...

> > > hope i could be of any help

> > > torp

> > I use RH 6.1 with Linux kernel 2.2.11-22, and the emu10k1 drivers from Creative
> > worked fine.  I just compiled them and installed them as a module using "insmod
> > emu10k1".  I did have problems with the ALSA drivers, though.

> This is beginning to get depressing -- I've installed Mandrake 6.5
> (which I think is based on RH 6.1? Not sure) but built the Linux
> 2.2.14 kernel from scratch, and still am having problems with my
> Soundblaster Live! card.

> Both the "emu10k1" driver and the OSS driver (I'm willing to pay to
> get this card working!) have the same problem ... analog passthru
> (playing CD, gating the microphone to the speakers) works, but the WAV
> device just gives me a high pitched hum (different pitch depending on
> the sound file, and length seems appropriate for the sound file).

> I've ruled out failure of the card hardware (win98 talks to it fine)
> and the configuration between win98 and linux is consistant (x1800,
> irq5).

> I DL'd the eval OSS driver assuming it would be better, but if the
> only remaining problem is the same between emu10k1 and oss, I'll take
> the cheaper alternative. Any ideas on what might be going on here? Or
> should I get OSS into the loop? I'd like to use the "emu10k1" driver
> if possible, since I already have it's source at hand.

> -- Greg Limes


 
 
 

SBLIVE driver problem

Post by Thomas K. Gambl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> hi, Greg

> can you tell me where i can download the linux driver for SBlive.

> thanks



http://opensource.creative.com/
 
 
 

1. ALSA driver problem, SBLive! sound card, RH 8.0

I'm trying to setup my Linux system (RH8.0; I'm running Gnome for X),
but was having some trouble with the sound output; I was advised to
install the ALSA drivers. However, I can't see to do this. Following
the instructions for installing ALSA for a Creative SoundBlaster Live!
Value, I managed to build the drivers without great difficulty (once I
figured out how to build things ...), but I cannot seem to load the
modules. Instead, it gives me error messages when I try to use
modprobe:

modprobe: Can't locate module emu10k1
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-pcm-oss
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-mixer-oss
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-seq-oss

I'm sure this is something stupid and obvious, but I'm new to Linux
and barely know what modprobe does, let alone how it operates. Any
pointers would be greatly appreciated ...

2. Linux (text) files to Win 98/2000 via floppy?

3. problems with alsa drivers and sblive

4. ioctl cleanups: enable sg_io and serial stuff to be shared

5. problem with alsa drivers and sblive

6. File locking with Linux NFS server

7. SBLive - Alsa Driver Questions/Problems

8. PAssword Expiring

9. sblive drivers

10. SBLive! driver for FreeBSD 4.0

11. help:sblive driver installation

12. SBLive's new driver

13. alsa SBLive drivers on RH7