Partition Advice Request

Post by Jeremy Palve » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

Linux newbie getting ready to partition hard drive would like some
advice...

1.7G drive with Win95 (FAT16) on it, 800 meg free.  I want to install
RedHat 5.2.  I've been reading this:
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/LDP/gs/node4.html   Which is pretty good
but some things remain unclear.  Here's the plan to get me started
with Linux...

Partitions:
1148M   Win Boot
552M    LINUX

The Linux partition I want to divide into the following logical
partitions:
128M   Root  /
376M   ???????  /usr  /home
48M    Swap

Questions:
I've read that the Linux partition must be well below cylinder 1024,
and some equate this with below 512M.  But my drive only has 847
cylinders, so does that mean I have no restrictions which apply?  One
text said 'cylinders' and the other said 'sectors', so I'm not sure
which applies?

If I have to have the Linux partition below 528M, will this work:
Partitions:
400M    Win Boot
552M    LINUX
748M    Win Data

Does the 1024 cylinder/sector limit apply to modern BIOS (Award 4.51PG
7/98)?

Should I split the 376M logical partition into more?   Do /usr and
/home need to be on separate logical partitions?  My system will have
only me using it.

Thanks for any advice here!

Partition Advice Request

Post by Andries Brouw » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: Questions:
: I've read that the Linux partition must be well below cylinder 1024,
: and some equate this with below 512M.

Nonsense.

: But my drive only has 847 cylinders, so does that mean
: I have no restrictions which apply?

Indeed.

(And how you partition is entirely up to you.
It doesnt matter much. A good start is two partitions:
one for swap and one for all the rest.)

Partition Advice Request

Post by Samuel Knap » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

A good setup for partitioning is to separate /home from / and swap, of
course.
This way if you reinstall in future, you can completely erase the old
system but keep the user accounts.  Also, you can create an archive
directory in /home that would allow you to keep sources of extraneous
programs that an upgrade might force a recompile onto....

--Chris

Partition Advice Request

Post by Dale Ponti » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> A good setup for partitioning is to separate /home from / and swap, of
> course.
> This way if you reinstall in future, you can completely erase the old
> system but keep the user accounts.  Also, you can create an archive
> directory in /home that would allow you to keep sources of extraneous
> programs that an upgrade might force a recompile onto....

Seems to me that it might be a good idea to separate /var/spool from
/, as well. Whether or not you wanted to physically store it with
/home and symlink one or the other is another matter. This would let
you keep mail and news spools and www cache across reinstalls.

Dale Pontius
(NOT speaking for IBM)

1. Partitioning advice request

I've been using Redhad for a while and decided to try Debian.  I
bought a cheapo computer to do this.  The problem is that Redhat is
made for stupidier people than Debian is, giving you advice as you go
through the install.

When I installed Redhat I used an old HD for the swap partition on the
second IDE channel.  On the drive on the first channel I did /boot,
/, and /home.

Anyway,  How should I partition my 10G hard disk for debian?

--
Mark Heaely
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

2. modifying syscalls on the fly

3. G4 with 2gig of real-estate .. Partition Advice request.

4. aha152x problem

5. Advice on partitioning requested!

6. lilo Append

7. Advice on partitioning requested ....

8. IoMega Ditto 800 External

9. Partition Scheme Advice Requested

10. Hacked system: Possible warning and advice requested

11. Fast-SCSI2 EISA controller advice requested

12. Advice Request Re.: SLS swap

13. Request advice on NIC and hub.