5250 Terminal Emulation (for IBM AS/400) - Newbie question

5250 Terminal Emulation (for IBM AS/400) - Newbie question

Post by José Roqu » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi.

First of all, sorry for the crosspost, but at this moment I don't know
exactly where to post this question.

I am starting with linux (actualy redhat) at home.

All is going fine and I recomend it (even an installation with some
errors
is more stable than windows).

What I would like to know is about the existence of an IBM 5250 terminal
emulator.

Can I find one on the net ?

At work I need to use an IBM terminal emulator that runs under Win95 and
WinNT but I would be very pleased to use linux at work and still being
connected to the AS/400 so I need the emulator.
By the way, I use TCP/IP to communicate with the AS/400.

It would be nice if someone could point me the right way.

Thanks to all

Jose Roque

Post by Jochen B.-Gae » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

    Jos> Hi.  First of all, sorry for the crosspost, but at this
    Jos> moment I don't know exactly where to post this question.
seems ok...
    Jos> I am starting with linux (actualy redhat) at home.

    Jos> All is going fine and I recomend it (even an installation
    Jos> with some errors is more stable than windows).

    Jos> What I would like to know is about the existence of an IBM
    Jos> 5250 terminal emulator.

    Jos> Can I find one on the net ?

    Jos> At work I need to use an IBM terminal emulator that runs
    Jos> under Win95 and WinNT but I would be very pleased to use
    Jos> linux at work and still being connected to the AS/400 so I
    Jos> need the emulator.  By the way, I use TCP/IP to communicate
    Jos> with the AS/400.

    Jos> It would be nice if someone could point me the right way.

    Jos> Thanks to all

Hi Jos
at work, I just tried to Telnet to our AS/400. Seems something in
OS/400 recognizes Telnet ASCII as a correct terminal: it worked
well. After a few discussions with the AS/400-sysadmin, I was even
able to ftp the machine. Just try and have a chat with your sysadmin.
cheers
jochen

--

                Building more prisons to address crime is like
                buildung more graveyards to address fatal disease

Post by J. S. Jense » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> What I would like to know is about the existence of an IBM 5250 terminal
> emulator.

Yes, though quite alpha:  http://www.blarg.net/~mmadore/

Quote:> I would be very pleased to use linux at work and still being connected to
> the AS/400 so I need the emulator.  By the way, I use TCP/IP to
> communicate with the AS/400.

The AS/400 will take more than 5250.  It will also accept 3270 and vt100.
VT100 seems to work quite well once you get the function key mapping worked
out.  Our AS/400 console IS a 486 Linux box telnetting vt100 into the 400!

--
J. S. Jensen

http://www.paramin.com

1. AIX api to get data from AS/400 via 5250 Terminals

I have a manufacturing system that is controlled on an RS/6000 running AIX
v3.2.5.  This machine tracks process and product quality data in to a
Oracle Database.  We also use JDEdwards on an AS/400 to do tracking of work
orders and plant capacity, yield etc.

What I would like to be able to do, is have the RS/6000 track finished
products lot numbers to give a correlation between the process and quality
data and final production.  The RS/6000 needs to get the lot numbers from
the AS/400 and JDE.

I would like to program the RS/6000 to do this in either perl or C/C++ and
NOT do any coding in AS/400 or JDE.  If there are api's available to either
simulate an 5250 terminal session to build a query and get the result, that
is on idea.  Or if there is a way to do a interactive ftp session or a
query?

Any suggestions or help is desperately accepted.  The key is it has to
happen automatically through software, no input from a person should be
needed and NO AS/400 or JDE programming!

Thanks in advance.

Mark Watkins
Lexmark International, Inc.

2. network card not detected

3. IBM 5250 Emulation over TCP/IP??

4. some large create_module(2) sizes can oops a kernel

5. DOSEMU: How to run IBM 5250 emulation?

6. Newbie installing packages

7. 5250 Terminal Emulation for Solaris 2.6

8. Linux Electronic Mail HOWTO (part 1/1)

9. 5250 terminal emulation problems

10. telnet client for IBM 5250 emulation

11. IBM 5250 Emulation Card Programming

12. IBM 5250 emulation under X

13. 5250 AS/400 Emulator ??