?Debian: recovering default dselect list?

?Debian: recovering default dselect list?

Post by Terrance Hodgi » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello.  I finally just got a Linux distribution working on
a junk-box experimental machine.  Debian ended up being
what I could get to install successfully on a 486 with limited
memory and disk space.

I ran into one gotcha at the end of the installation:
the install program asked me what kind of base-line system
I wanted to install, and I choose the base-line server, a
small configuration.
But at that minute neither my NFS nor FTP were working for
the new machine, so the installation of the chosen supplemental
packages failed, and I just exitted from that routine.

When the machine was rebooted, the script file that had
started dselect had erased itself, assuming that the installation
was done.

I have most everything working now, and can FTP stuff down from
a mirror site, and am doing it successfully.
But the lists of packages available don't match the selections
that were available during the installation.

I'd like to retry that one package list to make sure I have
all of the "required" packages for that minimal system,
 without downloading too much junk.

So does someone know how to get back that particular list?

--
*      Terrance Hodgins       *
*   Willamette Web Weavers    *

* http://www.navi.net/~weave/ *

?Debian: recovering default dselect list?

Post by Philip Charl » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Two ways, 1st.  Install again from sratch.  The files you are talking about
are erased.

2nd.  Look at boot-floopies source - the lists are hidden in their
somewhere, and install them by hand.

Phil

--
Philip Charles.  My home page:-   http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~philipc

Post by Mike Clark » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Hello.  I finally just got a Linux distribution working on
>a junk-box experimental machine.  Debian ended up being
>what I could get to install successfully on a 486 with limited
>memory and disk space.
>I ran into one gotcha at the end of the installation:

[Snip]

Quote:>I'd like to retry that one package list to make sure I have
>all of the "required" packages for that minimal system,
> without downloading too much junk.

>So does someone know how to get back that particular list?

>2nd.  Look at boot-floopies source - the lists are hidden in their
>somewhere, and install them by hand.

Unfortunately this information appears to be very well hidden.  I took
the precaution of saving the /root directory during the installation and
have a copy of the pkgsel script and associated datafiles.  The whole
lot is too big to post here (85 KB) but I'd be happy to email a tarfile
to anyone who's interested.

If you're interested send an email to my Reply-To: address, all mail to
the From: address gets bounced by my junk mail filter.
--
Mike Clarke

1. Debian dselect problem: trn, leafnode, inews

Please forgive me; I'm a relative newbie to Debian.

I installed Debian 2.2, and tonight I did another
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
incantation so I had the latest.

Then I wanted to install trn.  Yes, it's oldish.  Yes, there are other
*rn programs that are more featureful: some have scoring, for
example.  But I'm used to trn, so I want it (which probably makes me a
heretic, I suppose).

So I go into dselect.  I forget how I got the listing of packages to
include trn, because it wasn't on the 3 Debian CDs I got (being
non-free) -- I think it was something with dselect [A]ccess and
[U]pdate.

Anyway, I'm in [S]elect, and I look for trn:
      -- Opt non-free trn          <none>    3.6-13
This is what it had for leafnode and task-dialup (q.v.):
     *** Xtr news     leafnode     1.9.9-4   1.9.9-4
     *** Opt net      task-dialup  0.3       0.3
I went to the trn line and hit "+".  I got a dependency page like

  -* Opt non-free trn
  __ Xtr news     inews
  -* Opt news     inewsinn
  __ Opt news     inn2-inews

I'm suspicious of anything connected with inn or regular inews.  On a
previous system I ran leafnode and it handled everything, and every so
often I got configuration error messages popping up from inn (because
I hadn't configured it, I suppose).

So I go to the "inewsinn" line and hit R, and all of them go to -- or
__.  Thought that R applied only to the current line; I guess not.  I
go to the "trn" line and hit "+", and now it's selected again and only
it is selected, so that's what I want.  I hit Q, then Q again.

I go to [I]nstall, and it says
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
        leafnode task-dialup

WHAT?!  In my little looking ('cause I understand little) I didn't see
any dependences or conflicts or anything in leafnode vis a vis inews
or trn!  task-dialup says it depends on leafnode, at least.  Naturally
(not wanting to lose leafnode and any part-time dialup stuff) I hit N.

Eventually I went to the Debian Web pages, found the latest stable trn
package, downloaded it, and figured out how to do
    dpkg --force-depends -i trn_3.6-13.deb
I have yet to see whether it *works* or not, mind you.   ...  Ah, no:

Anyone with a good explanation of why asking to *install* trn and
*ignore* three others results in wanting to *remove* leafnode and
task-dialup?

Anyone willing to suggest which of inews, inewsinn, or inn2-inews I
ought to install?

2. Disabling a port

3. Debian - dselect error

4. libXpm problem

5. Debian Linux - Dselect questions

6. ArrggghhH!!!

7. Debian 1.1 install problem (Dselect)

8. CDROM Creative CD1220E

9. debian: Can dselect put packages in non-root partition ???

10. ? about Debian dselect program

11. debian dselect?

12. Debian dselect question