bootdisk problem

Post by Brian Frenke » Mon, 28 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to install the slakware version of linux.  I've installed it
before using the SCSI bootdisk and the UMSDS**** rootdisk, but I can't get
it to work now.

I used rawrite to create the SCSI bootdisk, but once I boot up with it,
it only gets to part where you can enter parameters.  Once I hit enter (no
parameters) I get an

Error 0x10

message.  Any one know what's going on?

thanks.

Brian Frenkel

1. Bootdisk: Problems with large root filesystems (and thus ramdisks)

I just created a bootdisk (which runs without problems), when I realized
I wanted to have a larger ramdisk (the ramdisk didnt magically grow
when I created files on it as I expected from "ramdisk.txt").

So I just made my root-filesystem larger (12Mb) and (as it is
compressed), it still fits nicely on the floppy disk.
But while linux is still loading the image from disk, I now get pages of
error messages stating:
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 8684
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 8685
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 8686

after that, the system still seems to work fine at first.
But after a while of working on the ramdisk (you can provoke it by
writing a 2Mb file), it starts again (only varied by different sector
numbers) and usually ends with a kernel panic.

The kernel ouput reads as follows:
Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 01:00): ext2_read_inode: unable to
read i-node block - inode=1505, block=8197

My configuration:
- 2.0.30 Kernel
- compressed ext2fs root file system
  (configured like described in the bootdisk-howto, 4. Advanced Bootdisk
Creation)
- the error prevails on different systems (AMD K6-200, 64Mb - Pentium90,
32Mb)

If anybody knows either why all these error messages come up just by
enlarging the ramdisk/root-fs or knows if there is really something like
a automatically resizable ramdisk (which would solve my problem, too),
please E-mail me.

Thank You,
Stefan Schonger

2. Mail reader, multiple accounts

3. DPT SCSI Bootdisk Problem - Help!

4. BIND 8.2.3 - Zone transfer servers?

5. Bootdisk problem

6. Tracing a library symbol back to source code line.

7. UMSDOS Configured bootdisk problem.

8. X libs

9. Debian-bootdisk problems with NCR SCSI 810

10. SLS 1.03 Bootdisk problem (computer kept reseting itself)

11. Mitsumi CD-Rom Bootdisk Problems

12. slackware-3.2 bootdisk problem.

13. Bootdisk problems