Linux (both redhat & slackware) hangs randomly on new setup...

Linux (both redhat & slackware) hangs randomly on new setup...

Post by Justin Thiesse » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I just put together a new computer system, installed linux, and
am suffering a series of random system freezes.

System info:
AMD k6-233, clocked at 3.5*66
Shuttle HOT-603 motherboard
Mitsumi 24X CD-Rom drive (slave drive on 1st ide channel)
Fujitsu 3.2 gig HD (master drive on 1st ide channel)
64 meg SDRAM (1 DIMM, w/ EEPROM; gold contacts)
Jaton 58P 4 meg video card (ET6000 chipset)
mid-tower case, 230W ps

I have a 500 meg ms-dos (6.2) partition,
the rest is devoted to linux. (all logical partitions (hda5 is root,
hda6 is swap, hda7 is /usr, & hda8 is /home)

I picked up the infomagic 6 CD-ROM "Developer'" distribution, then
first installed redhat 5.0. (kernal 2.0.32) I had several crashes,
reinstalled a couple of times, then decided to put slackware 3.4
(kernal 2.0.30) on, since it's what I had on my old 486, and I
never had trouble with it.

Well, to make a long story short, the system crashes under slack-
ware too.  I have no clue why.  Sometimes it crashes while boot-
ing, sometimes it doesn't crash at all, despite being used for
a couple of hours.  Once it crashed right after logging in.

To date, I've only had one crash under ms-dos, and that was while
using a program I would expect to crash occasionally.  True, nothing
I'm using in dos is going to stress the system very hard, nor use
anywhere close to all the memory.

I suspected that the ram might be the source of the trouble, so I went
looking for memory test programs.  Unfortunately the few I can find to
download either are too old to recognize all the ram I have, or seem
to lock up.  At first I interpreted the lockup as a sign of memory
trouble, but further investigation makes me suspicious of the program's
accuracy.  Specificly, when I directed the program to test ram higher
than ~16 megs, it reports an error every 4 megs or so.  Under 8 megs
it says everything is ok.  Between 8 and 16 megs it locks up the sys-
tem.  If I were to believe the ram test program, I have some *really*
crappy ram.  I have to admit that I find it hard to believe that so
much of my ram is screwed up.

If anyone could direct me to a *useful* ram test program, I'd hopefully
be able to determine whether it is the source of the problem.

Other than the ram, the best guess (hardware-wise) I have is that
my power supply is extremely erratic.  Unfortunately I don't currently
have the equipment to test it.

Originally I thought that perhaps it was something due to my linux
setup, but I've checked over it and it all seems ok.

I went step-by-step through my motherboard's reference card and made
sure I had all the jumpers set correctly, and set all the memory
timings to very conservative values.  (more so than the standard/
factory setup)

Currently I'm stumped, and hoping to figure this out soon, so I can
return defective parts to the resaler, if necessary.

If anyone can shed some light on my problem I would greatly appreciate
it.  Shoot, if you can direct me to the appropriate document (I've
been looking through how-to's & faq's) I'd be happy.

If you do respond, please cc the message to my email address as well
as posting to the group, as my news server is somewhat erratic.

Thanks,

Justin Thiessen

Linux (both redhat & slackware) hangs randomly on new setup...

Post by Bear » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I've got the same problem!  K6 233 and Hot 603 board.  I haven't even

video card in win 95.  Very random hangups that seem to occur mostly
when I try to stress the machine a bit and it's nicely warmed up.  I am
tending to believe it is a problem with the hot 603 board.  Certain
programs (most notably microsoft Office) and some of the programs that
came with the video card will not install properly.

You didn't happen to buy from Fry's by any chance?

Post by Justin Thiesse » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I've got the same problem!  K6 233 and Hot 603 board.  I haven't even

> video card in win 95.  Very random hangups that seem to occur mostly
> when I try to stress the machine a bit and it's nicely warmed up.  I am
> tending to believe it is a problem with the hot 603 board.  Certain
> programs (most notably microsoft Office) and some of the programs that
> came with the video card will not install properly.

> You didn't happen to buy from Fry's by any chance?

Nope, most of it (incl. the m/b) came from Axiontech, the rest came
from Vitalink.

I ram memtest86 on the machine, with it both warmed up and cold, and
despite a good number of passes, it came up with no errors.

I've only had one crash under dos so far, and it was w/ a program
I would have expected to crash occasionally.

The other day, it crashed 3 times consecutively at progressively
more advanced stages of linux bootup.  (the machine was cold to
begin with)  I still have no clue, although the memory seems beyond
suspicion.  Perhaps I'll start looking for a hard drive diagnostic
program now.  If I wasn't so freaking busy with classes etc., I'd pull
the works out of this new case and put it in my old one, in order to
test the power supply.

> > I just put together a new computer system, installed linux, and
> > am suffering a series of random system freezes.

<Huge load of my own sysinfo deleted>

 Justin Thiessen

Post by David Rivenbur » Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I suspected that the ram might be the source of the trouble, so I went

I had a system with a bad simm that ran dos and windos just fine but I was
never able to compile a kernel under Linux even once without core
dumping.  Himem.sys without the /testmem:off option would report a problem
about 1 in 20 times at most.  Since Linux actually *uses* the resources
you system has, it could turn up problems not found otherwise.  I suggest
taking your simms to a local computer shop that has a simm tester and have
them do it for you.

Quote:> Other than the ram, the best guess (hardware-wise) I have is that
> my power supply is extremely erratic.  Unfortunately I don't currently
> have the equipment to test it.

Flaky power is a bad thing.  If the power isn't clean, that can cause all
kinds of funky erraticism.  If your simms check out and you've already had
problems with the power supply, spend the $40 on a new one.  It certainly
can't hurt.

Good luck...

driven

1. Q: Computer hangs randomly during setup/install

I have just started to try and get Linux Slakware running on my ICL
desk top computer. I got a second 1.3GB Nec hard disk to run it on.
The first hd holds a standard W95 setup. CD-ROM is IDE Matsumi. HD's
are EIDE as well. (The Nec hd runs as slave.)

I believe I get through creating boot and root disks ok. The setup
seems to work well all the way through install. I have partioned the
disk to 100MB swap and the rest as one native partition. (Also tried
several smaller natives, but no difference.) Format goes ok. During the
actual installation of Linux packages to the hd the computer randomly
hangs after 10-20 files. Completly dead, no messages in either text or
meny setup. Takes the power switch to get it back.

Anya ideas???

BTW, are there any limitation to partition (max) sizes?

Erland Unruh

        Telia Engineering AB
        Box 85, S-201 20 Malmo, Sweden

2. socket connect problem on RH6.0

3. RedHat 5.2 Install Hangs Randomly

4. Using BOOTP/RARP to get IP address

5. New User, RedHat 5.1 Setup Hangs At first screen

6. How do I increase the number of mount points ?

7. Linux 1.1.59: Slackware setup hangs

8. Compiling kernel RH 5.1

9. Upgrading from Slackware to Redhat & General Slackware info

10. NT/Linux Dual Boot - NT Randomly Hangs

11. Linux hangs randomly on accessing /dev/hdc1

12. New to Linux: Redhat or Slackware?

13. New Redhat Linux 6.0 install hangs booting from bootdisk