RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

Post by SupaPhrea » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm having a problem installing redhat 5.1 from a mitsumi CD-ROM drive.
During the installation when I choose to install from a cdrom it begins to
seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  I'm thinking
that possibly I need to specify options for the CD-ROM drive at the "boot:"
area on the setup boot screen.  But I have know idea what those options
might be or even if that is the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

Post by Mark Kell » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

If your bios supports, boot from CD, then you can completely ignore this
problem.  Set you bios for Boot from CD, put the 5.1 CD in the drive, and
restart.  You should be able to install just fine.

Mark

>I'm having a problem installing redhat 5.1 from a mitsumi CD-ROM drive.
>During the installation when I choose to install from a cdrom it begins to
>seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  I'm thinking
>that possibly I need to specify options for the CD-ROM drive at the "boot:"
>area on the setup boot screen.  But I have know idea what those options
>might be or even if that is the problem.

>Any help is appreciated.

RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

Post by Anthony Goncalve » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

browsing through my "running linux" book, i found this option for your cd-rom:

mcd=iobase,irq

(where "iobase" is the I/O base in hexadecimal format, and "irq" of course is
the interrupt used by your cdrom. I think you can find out the "iobase" pretty
easy if your using win95; by looking under the control panel, then under
system.) hope this helps.

> I'm having a problem installing redhat 5.1 from a mitsumi CD-ROM drive.
> During the installation when I choose to install from a cdrom it begins to
> seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  I'm thinking
> that possibly I need to specify options for the CD-ROM drive at the "boot:"
> area on the setup boot screen.  But I have know idea what those options
> might be or even if that is the problem.

> Any help is appreciated.

RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

Post by b.. » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>If your bios supports, boot from CD, then you can completely ignore this
>problem.  Set you bios for Boot from CD, put the 5.1 CD in the drive, and
>restart.  You should be able to install just fine.

>Mark

>>I'm having a problem installing redhat 5.1 from a mitsumi CD-ROM drive.
>>During the installation when I choose to install from a cdrom it begins to
>>seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  I'm thinking
>>that possibly I need to specify options for the CD-ROM drive at the "boot:"
>>area on the setup boot screen.  But I have know idea what those options
>>might be or even if that is the problem.

>>Any help is appreciated.

>   I have the same problem and booting over the cdrom

     i snt the cure, the cdrom starts booting but the same problem

     start`s again                             it freezes
     and the other cure subscribed ......   sorry that go`s to far
     fore me ..for now.. hihihihih     is there an other option ??????
     pleas pleas     this is an s.o.s from HOLLAND

RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

Post by John Morr » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>  I have the same problem and booting over the cdrom
>     i snt the cure, the cdrom starts booting but the same problem

>     start`s again                             it freezes
>     and the other cure subscribed ......   sorry that go`s to far
>     fore me ..for now.. hihihihih     is there an other option ??????
>     pleas pleas     this is an s.o.s from HOLLAND

I am having the exact same problem myself.

I have an old Dell 486 with an NEC cdrom drive.

I _can boot directly from the cdrom drive..... but
the install process STILL hangs up.

What gives?

This is for Redhat 5.1.

RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

Post by b.. » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>If your bios supports, boot from CD, then you can completely ignore this
>problem.  Set you bios for Boot from CD, put the 5.1 CD in the drive, and
>restart.  You should be able to install just fine.

>Mark

>>I'm having a problem installing redhat 5.1 from a mitsumi CD-ROM drive.
>>During the installation when I choose to install from a cdrom it begins to
>>seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  I'm thinking
>>that possibly I need to specify options for the CD-ROM drive at the "boot:"
>>area on the setup boot screen.  But I have know idea what those options
>>might be or even if that is the problem.

>>Any help is appreciated.

 he he  i have don this and it worked!!!
Boot: linux hd?=cdrom   were ? is a,b,c of d
good luck

RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

Post by b.. » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>If your bios supports, boot from CD, then you can completely ignore this
>>problem.  Set you bios for Boot from CD, put the 5.1 CD in the drive, and
>>restart.  You should be able to install just fine.

>>Mark

>>>I'm having a problem installing redhat 5.1 from a mitsumi CD-ROM drive.
>>>During the installation when I choose to install from a cdrom it begins to
>>>seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  I'm thinking
>>>that possibly I need to specify options for the CD-ROM drive at the "boot:"
>>>area on the setup boot screen.  But I have know idea what those options
>>>might be or even if that is the problem.

>>>Any help is appreciated.

>>   I have the same problem and booting over the cdrom
>     i snt the cure, the cdrom starts booting but the same problem

>     start`s again                             it freezes
>     and the other cure subscribed ......   sorry that go`s to far
>     fore me ..for now.. hihihihih     is there an other option ??????
>     pleas pleas     this is an s.o.s from HOLLAND

>     YESSSS YESSSS YESSSS YESSSS
>     i got it worked out this is my silution, type from boot option:
>     linux hd?=cdrom        where ? is a,b,c of d
>     in my case it looks like
>     boot: linux hdc=cdrom
>     an than follow the install menu
>     GOOD LUCK

RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

Post by Angie Petrill » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

redhat software has an updated boot disks for installs that seems to
solve some of the problems. Try there if hdc=drom doesn't work as a
parameter

> >If your bios supports, boot from CD, then you can completely ignore
> this
> >problem.  Set you bios for Boot from CD, put the 5.1 CD in the drive,
> and
> >restart.  You should be able to install just fine.

> >Mark

> >>I'm having a problem installing redhat 5.1 from a mitsumi CD-ROM
> drive.
> >>During the installation when I choose to install from a cdrom it
> begins to
> >>seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  I'm
> thinking
> >>that possibly I need to specify options for the CD-ROM drive at the
> "boot:"
> >>area on the setup boot screen.  But I have know idea what those
> options
> >>might be or even if that is the problem.

> >>Any help is appreciated.

>  he he  i have don this and it worked!!!
> Boot: linux hd?=cdrom   were ? is a,b,c of d
> good luck

1. Installing RH 5.1 w/ an older CD-Rom drive

I'm currently helping a friend install Linux on a spare 486 he has sitting
around.  The problem is that he has an older CD-ROM drive.  It's a Philips
cm205ms, and I've got a hacked module for the cm206 that will work w/ this
drive.  However, I'm not exactly sure *where* this module needs to go on
RH's boot disk so that it can be loaded prior to installing the system.  I
tried compiling a kernel for him with built in support, but the setup
program wants to install the cdrom as a module, and won't even look at the
kernel to see if the support is there.  My question is:  How do I add a
module to a RH bootdisk so that he can use his CD to install?

We've tried several other install methods, such as an ftp install from
several different sites (which always died for some reason or another),
and an ftp install from the cd mounted on his NT machine.  That one didn't
work because it kept seeing the filenames as 8.3 rather than the proper
names.  The only two options we have left would be to pull the cdrom drive
out of his NT machine and put it in the 486 (which we're not even sure can
handle it), or mirror the cd onto the NT drive, and try the ftp install
from there (which may die like the other ftp installs did -- I wish I
could remember what the error messages were, but it's been a while).

any suggestions?

________________________________

Todd Ostermeier

http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ostermer/index.html
ICQ UIN: 2253928
A-723
________________________________

2. Netscape Enterprise 3.0g patch

3. RH 5.1 install- CD-ROM and IDE pains

4. Netscape Bus Error????

5. RH 5.1 CD-ROM problem

6. Backup Request: Alphatronics/Legato Networker stories ..

7. RedHat 5.1 install failed -- can't use ATAPI CD-ROM

8. Multiboot / Drive problem

9. Can't Install SuSE 5.1 from Creative Labs CD-ROM

10. Problem installing RH Motif 2.0 on RH 5.1 system

11. Back Pack cd-rom problem On Red hat 5.1

12. Problem with SuSE 5.1 and Sony CD-ROM cdu33a !?

13. RH 5.2 CD-ROM install Problem