Linux, W98, Lilo & 1024th Cylinder Problems, Please Reccommend Software Also

Linux, W98, Lilo & 1024th Cylinder Problems, Please Reccommend Software Also

Post by Mark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have W98 installed on a 6.4Gb FAT32 primary partition.
I'd like to dual boot it with Debian 2.1 installed on a 3Gb partition made
by using partition magic to shrink the 6.4Gb partiton to 3.4Gb and creating
a New 3Gb one. (I apologise for my drive/partition naming but its the only
way I know at the moment)

I'd like to use linux's Lilo as the boot manager.
If my motherboard will look past the 1024th cylinder for the boot image or
OS loader, does Lilo have to be below the 1024th cylinder?
If I create three primary partitions, one 400Mb, one 3Gb and another 3Gb and
put Lilo on the 400Mb one, W98 on one 3 and Debian on the other will the
win98 partition move to D:? Can I make it C: and hide the Lilo partition?
If none of this is possible and I nuke my hard-drive and create three fresh
partitons of 0.4, 3 and 3Gb as above and install W98 on D: (set as a primary
partition) Can I then install Debian on E: with Lilo on C: to choose between
98 and Debian at Startup. How do I do this please?

My other 'problem' regards software. I haven't got a clue about whats on
offer in linux but I know what I want to do. What would you reccommend for:

An Office Suite (WP, Spreadsheet, DB, Presentations, I'm told Staroffice so
that I can read my old MS stuff)
Bitmap, JPEG and GIF viewing, conversion, editing (Like Paint Shop Pro)
Web Browsing (Like IE/Netscape)
Email, Newsgroups (Like Sharkmail!)
PDF Viewing (Like Acrobat)
TWAIN capture (UMAX Astra 600P, Parallel Port)

2D/3D CAD (Preferably AutoCAD *.DXF compatible)
3D rendering proggie
CD Burning Software (Preferably as Idiot-Resistant as Adaptec Easy CD)
WAV, MP3, Realaudio Player/Converter (Similar to Realjukebox if possible)
Any Good Games (Transport Tycoon/ Railroad Tycoon/ Civilistaion/
Colonization/ Simcity style)

The Machine is a PII 266 w/64Mb Ram, U-33 6.4G HD, S3 Virge GX 4Mb and CDRW
which I cannot afford to upgrade so any software must run on this please!

Thank You for your help!

Marko

Linux, W98, Lilo & 1024th Cylinder Problems, Please Reccommend Software Also

Post by Andrew E. Schulma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I have W98 installed on a 6.4Gb FAT32 primary partition.
> I'd like to dual boot it with Debian 2.1 installed on a 3Gb partition made
> by using partition magic to shrink the 6.4Gb partiton to 3.4Gb and creating
> a New 3Gb one. (I apologise for my drive/partition naming but its the only
> way I know at the moment)

> I'd like to use linux's Lilo as the boot manager.
> If my motherboard will look past the 1024th cylinder for the boot image or
> OS loader, does Lilo have to be below the 1024th cylinder?

Lilo installs its boot loader in sector 0.  The partitions that it boots
have to be contained below cylinder 1024, but this is usually 8.4 Gb, so
you should have no problem there.

Quote:> If I create three primary partitions, one 400Mb, one 3Gb and another 3Gb and
> put Lilo on the 400Mb one, W98 on one 3 and Debian on the other will the
> win98 partition move to D:? Can I make it C: and hide the Lilo partition?

Lilo doesn't need 400Mb!  It only needs sector 0!  You may still want 2
linux partitions, however.  Read the Debian installation documentation
about partitioning schemes, and see also the partition mini-howto,
http://www.ssc.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Partition.html.

Windows assigns drive letters according to the partitions it recognizes,
which doesn't include ext2 (linux) partitions.  So your first Windows
partition will still be C:.

When you're partitioning, I recommend setting up exactly one primary and
one extended partition.  Then put as many logical partitions as you want in
the extended partition.  The reason is that Windows in principle can only
understand one primary and one extended partition per drive, and may act
bizarrely if you use another scheme.  Make the primary partition VFAT, so
it will be C:.  Some people also recommend that any other Windows
partitions come first in the extended partition.  So for example, your
partition scheme might be:

partition       type            mount
1               primary/VFAT    C:
2               extended
5               logical/VFAT    D:
6               logical/ext2    /
7               logical/ext2    /usr

Quote:> My other 'problem' regards software. I haven't got a clue about whats on
> offer in linux but I know what I want to do. What would you reccommend for:

> An Office Suite (WP, Spreadsheet, DB, Presentations, I'm told Staroffice so
> that I can read my old MS stuff)
> Bitmap, JPEG and GIF viewing, conversion, editing (Like Paint Shop Pro)

xv, gimp

Quote:> Web Browsing (Like IE/Netscape)

lynx, netscape

Quote:> Email, Newsgroups (Like Sharkmail!)

I use netscape

Quote:> PDF Viewing (Like Acrobat)

acrobat

Quote:> TWAIN capture (UMAX Astra 600P, Parallel Port)

> 2D/3D CAD (Preferably AutoCAD *.DXF compatible)
> 3D rendering proggie
> CD Burning Software (Preferably as Idiot-Resistant as Adaptec Easy CD)
> WAV, MP3, Realaudio Player/Converter (Similar to Realjukebox if possible)
> Any Good Games (Transport Tycoon/ Railroad Tycoon/ Civilistaion/
> Colonization/ Simcity style)

freeciv is terrific!

Linux, W98, Lilo & 1024th Cylinder Problems, Please Reccommend Software Also

Post by Tom Pfeife » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

One note: If you install Debian 2.2 (potato) instead of 2.1 (slink), you
will get the newer version of Lilo that can handle disks over 1024
cylinders by using the "lba32" option in /etc/lilo.conf. That option is
not available in the Lilo included with Debian 2.1. The "lba32" option
is available starting with Lilo v21.4

As the other post said, a 6.4 GB disk will *usually* have less than 1024
cylinders anyway. This depends on the BIOS setup for the drive. If the
BIOS is set to what's usually called "LBA Mode" for that drive, it will
have less than 1024 cylinders as long as the drive is 8.4 GB or less. If
it's set to "Normal", it will have more. In that case the 1024 cylinder
mark will be at about 504 MB.

By the way, you don't want to change the BIOS setup for the drive after
you have partitioned it. That can/will cause serious problems with the
existing partitions. It should be changed before the drive is
partitioned.

This topic, including working around the 1024 cylinder problem with the
old Lilo, is covered in the large disk HOWTO which you can find here:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO.html

Tom

> [...]

> > that I can read my old MS stuff)
> > Bitmap, JPEG and GIF viewing, conversion, editing (Like Paint Shop Pro)
> xv, gimp

> > Web Browsing (Like IE/Netscape)
> lynx, netscape

> > Email, Newsgroups (Like Sharkmail!)
> I use netscape

> > PDF Viewing (Like Acrobat)
> acrobat

> > TWAIN capture (UMAX Astra 600P, Parallel Port)

> > 2D/3D CAD (Preferably AutoCAD *.DXF compatible)
> > 3D rendering proggie
> > CD Burning Software (Preferably as Idiot-Resistant as Adaptec Easy CD)
> > WAV, MP3, Realaudio Player/Converter (Similar to Realjukebox if possible)
> > Any Good Games (Transport Tycoon/ Railroad Tycoon/ Civilistaion/
> > Colonization/ Simcity style)
> freeciv is terrific!

Linux, W98, Lilo & 1024th Cylinder Problems, Please Reccommend Software Also

Post by Michael Kell » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to use linux's Lilo as the boot manager.
>If my motherboard will look past the 1024th cylinder for the boot image or
>OS loader, does Lilo have to be below the 1024th cylinder?

Hi Marko.  The Lilo that ships with most distributions has the
1024 cyl. problem, but there's a newer version of Lilo you
can download that doesn't.  So, if you don't want to mess
around with boot partitions inside the 1024 cyl limit, you
can boot from a diskette until you can install the newer
Lilo.  If you find the new Lilo on the web I would guess
it would come with some info how to install it onto an
existing Linux dist. to overcome the 1024 cyl thing.

Good luck. :)

* Small to medium size Project Consulting
* for Windows and Linux platforms:
*
* www.SmallSoftwareSystems.com
*

1. LILO, FreeBSD, and >1024th Cylinder

Hi all,

I have a 20.5G IDE harddrive broken up basically into
three equal parts with the exception of a single swap
partition at the front of the drive.  The second partition
(the first 1/3) is a Slackware install, the third will
eventually be a different Linux distribution, and the fourth
is a FreeBSD "slice."  Both installed fine and I installed
a recent version of LILO with support for drives with
more than 1024 cylinders.  I added the proper information
for FreeBSD to lilo.conf (Linux+FreeBSD HOWTO) and LILO
installed to the MBR with no problems when I used the "-L"
switch (LBA32).  However, when I reboot and attempt to boot
FreeBSD, I get "read error" and it hangs.  If I hit return,
it goes back to the LILO prompt.  So, what I'm trying to
figure out is if whether I am doing something wrong or what
I'm doing can't be done.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Greg

2. Unable to get Internet Explorer 5 with Solaris 2.7 to work

3. 1024th cylinder problem

4. query re slow malloc/free on SunOS 4.1.3

5. Boot problem, the 1024th cylinder...

6. disk full while creating emergency disk

7. 1024th Cylinder - Thank You Tom Pfeifer

8. probe at port 37875

9. 1024th Cylinder Question

10. 1024th cylinder

11. Installing outside the 1024th Cylinder

12. Can FreeBSD boot past the 1024th cylinder?

13. 1024th cylinder?