Linux, Omniview KVM, and Mouse

Post by Henry Stoc » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 22:08:02

I was trying to install Linux the other day with the system connected to an
OmniView 8 port KVM switch.  When it got to the point of sensing the mouse
the system could not determine what mouse was connected so it decided not to
install one.

I could plug the mouse directly into the system, but that defeats the
purpose of using the KVM.  Does anyone know how to force installation of a
specific mouse?

Does Linux support USB mice?  I'd like to use a Microsoft optical mouse.  I
have others if necessary, but this is the one I would prefer to use.

--
Henry Stock, Network Administrator
onProject.com

Post by Yidao Ca » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 02:07:21

> I was trying to install Linux the other day with the system connected to an
> OmniView 8 port KVM switch.  When it got to the point of sensing the mouse
> the system could not determine what mouse was connected so it decided not to
> install one.

We've being using KVM with linux in several configurations and during installtion
it pick up mouse (Microsoft) correctly. In your case, I would suggest install linux
without KVM first, then connect KVM after you get everything working.

cai

Quote:> I could plug the mouse directly into the system, but that defeats the
> purpose of using the KVM.  Does anyone know how to force installation of a
> specific mouse?

> Does Linux support USB mice?  I'd like to use a Microsoft optical mouse.  I
> have others if necessary, but this is the one I would prefer to use.

> --
> Henry Stock, Network Administrator
> onProject.com
> 3 Wing Drive
> Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927-1006

Linux, Omniview KVM, and Mouse

Post by Alex La » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 23:41:45

It has been my experience that when booting Linux, that the Belkin KVM
switch must be switched to the machine booting Linux in order for the
kernel to detect the mouse.

Alex

Post by ANT.. » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 07:15:20

> It has been my experience that when booting Linux, that the Belkin KVM
> switch must be switched to the machine booting Linux in order for the
> kernel to detect the mouse.

Correct, I have noticed this as well.

>> I was trying to install Linux the other day with the system connected to an
>> OmniView 8 port KVM switch.  When it got to the point of sensing the mouse
>> the system could not determine what mouse was connected so it decided not to
>> install one.

>> I could plug the mouse directly into the system, but that defeats the
>> purpose of using the KVM.  Does anyone know how to force installation of a
>> specific mouse?

>> Does Linux support USB mice?  I'd like to use a Microsoft optical mouse.  I
>> have others if necessary, but this is the one I would prefer to use.

--
"I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown
--

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )       ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://ptp-resume.home.dhs.org

1. Belkin OmniView SOHO series KVM

Are you experiencing erratic mouse behavior when switching from
Windows to Linux? One workaround is to switch to console mode
(Ctrl+Alt+F1) then switch back to graphic mode (Alt+F7). But if you
are tired doing this, here is a permanent fix.

Well, Belkin recognized the bug and released a firmware upgrade
s4v100.hex to fix this issue
(http://web.belkin.com/support/download/downloaddetails.asp?file_id=418).
But the catch is that the flash program provided by Belkin only works
under Win95, 98 or Me. The problem is that this utility tries to
access the parallel port with inp()/outp()-like commands and Win2K or
XP dont allow direct access to the parallel port to user mode
programs.

I tried the NTPDA (NT Port Direct Access) utility available at the
belkin website but without success: I never was able to write anything
to the parallel port.

Then I tried the following:
1. Made a Win95 boot disk
(http://www.qwerks.com/download/6498/mybootdisk.exe worked fine for
me)
2. Created another disk with flash.exe and s4v100.hex
3. Booted with win95 boot disk
4. Ran flash.exe
5. Loaded s4v100.hex into memory (choice 1)
6. Powered the kvm via PS2 with a second computer
7. Set the KVM into mouse firmware flash mode
8. Started programming (choice 2)

And the dots appeared... :)
Let me know if this works for you

2. Best rendering prog 4 Linux?

3. Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linux

4. Alternatives to ntop that work on Linux and Windows.

5. how can I setup a many user pop system

6. Determining maximum stack size

7. Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linix

8. KVM switch's and linux mouse problem

9. Mice, Linux, and KVM switches

10. belkin box (OmniView 4-port) and linux

11. SUSE Linux/Omniview PS/2 2 Port