Kernel build problem

Post by jhecke » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:16:43

Hello,

I tried to install the 2.4.1 kernel this evening.  However, I cannot
past the 'make dep' stage.  I am getting an error saying "Clock skew
detected.  Your build may be incomplete."

Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it?

TIA -

Regards,
jh

Kernel build problem

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:30:46

> I tried to install the 2.4.1 kernel this evening.  However, I cannot
> past the 'make dep' stage.  I am getting an error saying "Clock skew
> detected.  Your build may be incomplete."

It's not an error.

Quote:> Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it?

It means what it says (which word do you not understand?. "Skew"?
"Skew" is an english word meaning "warp", or "bias"). A skewed clock is
a warped clock. Since the make process depends on file creation times
to know what to make or rebuild when, obviously the results after
detecting a whacky system clock may be suspected to be skew-whiff
also.

You fix it by understanding the source of the problem, correcting it,
then repairing the effects.

Would you be running atop an nfs-mounted directory? Did you change the
date/time recently? Has your cmos battery expired? What ARE the times
on the files you are using? Tell us some of this - or tell yourself! -
and you'll get more info. The most probable cause depends on your
circumstances, so I can't guess. NFS?

Peter

Kernel build problem

Post by Rak » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 12:52:50

> > I tried to install the 2.4.1 kernel this evening.  However, I cannot
> > past the 'make dep' stage.  I am getting an error saying "Clock skew
> > detected.  Your build may be incomplete."

> It's not an error.

> > Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it?

> It means what it says (which word do you not understand?. "Skew"?
> "Skew" is an english word meaning "warp", or "bias"). A skewed clock is
> a warped clock. Since the make process depends on file creation times
> to know what to make or rebuild when, obviously the results after
> detecting a whacky system clock may be suspected to be skew-whiff
> also.

> You fix it by understanding the source of the problem, correcting it,
> then repairing the effects.

> Would you be running atop an nfs-mounted directory? Did you change the
> date/time recently? Has your cmos battery expired? What ARE the times
> on the files you are using? Tell us some of this - or tell yourself! -
> and you'll get more info. The most probable cause depends on your
> circumstances, so I can't guess. NFS?

> Peter

Kernel build problem

Post by Rak » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 12:54:25

Peter,
  Take it easy on the guy.  Even I, the One and All knowing, didn't know the
answer.  Thanks for the help, but the pain inflicted by the delivery just
wasn't worth it. Sit down and have another pot of coffee.
 Dylan sends