callback, ppp, and morning-afters

Post by Rudolph Pienaa » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi all -

I've been trying (with no real success) to get callback working on my
RedHat 5.0 system.

My employer offers callback, and I have confirmed under 95 that it does
indeed work. I dial in to the callback number, log in, the remote
machine hangs up, phones back, the modem answers, I log in again, and am
up and running.

Under Linux, however, I suspect that somewhere along the line I launch
pppd with the wrong command line arguments...

Anway, this is how far I get:

kppp:

With kppp I can access the normal dailin services with no problem. I set
up a simple script within kppp that sends my login and password, set
some other miscellaneous parameters, and I can dialin simply. With
callback, I've gotten kppp to dialin properly, send the login info, wait
for the return call, and then answer. Strangely enough, it seems that
when kppp answers, the first thing it does is reset the modem again...
gets confused, and then tries to dial my office machine again... :-(

minicom:

With minicom I can dailin, do the prelim login,  wait for the return
call, and login again. Everything seems fine. I get a `packet mode
enabled' message, and the terminal screen fills with binary data. I then
exit minicom without reset, and start pppd manually... (pppd -detach
defaultroute&) The same binary data then scrolls across my xterm. In
/var/log/messages I see pppd start up, give one or two messages, then
time out with an `LCP timeout during config request' or something like
that.

ppp-on / chat:

I've also tried the *basic* method of shell scripts and chat, using the
examples under /usr/doc/ppp*/scripts. As is, these scripts don't seem to
work. I've tried to hack them, but under /var/log/messages the furthest
I've gotten is seeing chat send an ATZ to the modem, give an expect(OK)
(or something like that) and then eventually time out.

I'm pretty much at my wits end. Any help/solutions/pointers or
commisseration would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rudolph

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Standard Disclaimer -   The views expressed in this article are personal

1. SCO PPP vs Morning Star PPP

Hi,

I've just been playing around with 5.0.4 and am trying to decide whether
to keep using SCO PPP or switch to Morningstar PPP when I actually get
around to upgrading our main server (currently 5.0.2).  We maintain a
permanent internet link via modem plus have a number of remote users
dialing in using PPP and also access most of our client sites using PPP.
We have had very few problems at all with SCO PPP and would be quite
happy to keep on using it.  However, SCO seem to be pushing Morningstar
PPP for internet related stuff.

What benefits would I get from switching to Morningstar PPP?

TIA.

Scott.

MU Systems Pty Ltd                                Phone: +61 7 3351 6677
Brisbane Australia
Authorised SCO Reseller       C & Informix Development & Support for SCO

2. X in Red Hat Linux 4.1

3. PPP Morning Star / Filters

4. 2.4.21-pre7, sb->sb_ops->sync_fs

5. ppp Morning Star on 5.0.2 ?

6. Can one do a concantenated metadevice on two different OSes?

7. ROUTER whith ppp Morning Star

8. MANAGE SOURCE CODE CONTROL, RUN BENCHMARKS

9. PPP worked this morning

10. PPP without Morning star

11. Morning Star PPP

12. More help needed with Morning Star PPP

13. Morning Star PPP