Monitor resolution

Post by Matt » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:52:55

I would like to be able to fit more onto my screen, how do I increase
the resolution so that everything is smaller?
I am running RedHat 7.3 KDE 2. Thanks!!

Matt

Monitor resolution

Post by Repo » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:59:41

> I would like to be able to fit more onto my screen, how do I increase
> the resolution so that everything is smaller?
> I am running RedHat 7.3 KDE 2. Thanks!!

> Matt

You can do this by:
Running Xconfigurator
        log in as root or su
        type/usr/X11R6/bin/Xconfigurator
Editing the file XF86Config
        log in as root or su
        edit/etc/X11/XF86Config
        go to section screen
        change the line  modes "****x**** " into the resolution you want.
        Be carefull by using a high resolution, make sure your monitor
supports it, also for the refreshrate

--
Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done.

Repo
http://beginnerslinux.org
http://repo.mine.nu

Monitor resolution

Post by phob » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 02:08:13

> > I would like to be able to fit more onto my screen, how do I increase
> > the resolution so that everything is smaller?
> > I am running RedHat 7.3 KDE 2. Thanks!!

> > Matt

> You can do this by:
> Running Xconfigurator
>         log in as root or su
>         type/usr/X11R6/bin/Xconfigurator
> Editing the file XF86Config
>         log in as root or su
>         edit/etc/X11/XF86Config
>         go to section screen
>         change the line  modes "****x**** " into the resolution you want.
>         Be carefull by using a high resolution, make sure your monitor
> supports it, also for the refreshrate

That last caveat cannot be overemphasised.

 Setting the resolution too high can - destroy your monitor -.

Got that?

 Setting the resolution too high can DESTROY YOUR MONITOR.

Don't believe me? Seriously, it _can_. Current monitors might be smart
enough to shut down rather than die. Older ones will go
_eeeeeeekkkssssssCLUNK....eep...eep...eep... and even older ones can
CATCH FIRE. That's fire, with actual flames and smoke, not just a
smell of melting resistors somewhere inside.

If you're going to go editing XF86Config-4, make sure you have the
specifications of your monitor handy, preferably the original manual,
though you might be able to get the info from the manufacturer's
website. You'll need to know the range of frequencies the monitor is
capable of.

If the hardware probes detected your monitor's make and model
correctly when you started up, then the frequency ranges ought to be
accurate. In that case, you can type in whatever resolutions you like
- X will ignore the ones that are out of range. Note 'ought to' - bear
in mind that the software you are using comes with ABSOLUTELY NO
WARRANTY, not even the implied warranties of merchantability or
fitness for a particular purpose...

In general, the rule is

for a 14" screen, nothing higher than 800x600
for a 15"                             1024x768
for a 17"                             1280x1024
for a 19"                             1600x1200
for anything bigger, I don't know because I'm not that rich. If you'd
care to donate a 24" monitor to a poor student, I'll gladly tell you
what resolution it can display :-)

Some monitors will be able to go higher than that, but chances are
everything will be too small to be usable.

Once you have your various screen resolutions entered, you can switch
between them at will by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Plus or Ctrl-Alt-Minus.

Monitor resolution

Post by Duane Smecker » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 04:34:50

>I would like to be able to fit more onto my screen, how do I increase
>the resolution so that everything is smaller?
>I am running RedHat 7.3 KDE 2. Thanks!!

>Matt

Just change the configuration and that will do it.

If you would like a better answer, you should ask a better
question.  Maybe something like "I have a Mag-17 DX-17 monitor
and an ATI Mach64 Video card with 16MB of video ram.
The monitor rates are H-___ - ____  and V ____ - ____.

--
Duane Smeckert
google for email