Compile problem

Post by Dann » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

When I try to compile X programs, I get the following message:

checking for X... configure error: can't find X. Please add the
correct paths. View configure --help for usage!

I'm using SUSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.10. Any help is greatly
appreciated!

Danny

Compile problem

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>When I try to compile X programs, I get the following message:

>checking for X... configure error: can't find X. Please add the
>correct paths. View configure --help for usage!

>I'm using SUSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.10. Any help is greatly
>appreciated!

Well, try ./configure --help -- it is at least possible there
are options like --x-includes= a. --x-libraries and if yes, then
why ...

Compile problem

Post by Dann » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >When I try to compile X programs, I get the following message:

> >checking for X... configure error: can't find X. Please add the
> >correct paths. View configure --help for usage!

> >I'm using SUSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.10. Any help is greatly
> >appreciated!

> Well, try ./configure --help -- it is at least possible there
> are options like --x-includes= a. --x-libraries and if yes, then
> why ...

I tried that, but it gives me the same error.

Compile problem

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> >When I try to compile X programs, I get the following message:

>> >checking for X... configure error: can't find X. Please add the
>> >correct paths. View configure --help for usage!

>> >I'm using SUSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.10. Any help is greatly
>> >appreciated!

>> Well, try ./configure --help -- it is at least possible there
>> are options like --x-includes= a. --x-libraries and if yes, then
>> why ...

>I tried that, but it gives me the same error.

In that case you've a problem 8-) ... either change the configure
script, adding a ...
set -x
... statement at the beginning or locate where this message
is coming from. configure does its feature testing by compiling
small test programmes. Having this one ought to help to sort
out the problem. The point is, if the build fails, e.g. due
to a missing library (like libXp with Motif) one just gets
an error message like that one.

Let's see,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

Compile problem

Post by Dann » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> In that case you've a problem 8-) ... either change the configure
> script, adding a ...
> set -x
> ... statement at the beginning or locate where this message
> is coming from. configure does its feature testing by compiling
> small test programmes. Having this one ought to help to sort
> out the problem. The point is, if the build fails, e.g. due
> to a missing library (like libXp with Motif) one just gets
> an error message like that one.

> Let's see,
> Juergen

Okay, here is what I get near where it fails.

+ LIBS=
++ echo NO
++ sed s/include/lib/
+ test -r NO/libXt.a
+ test -r NO/libXt.so
+ test -r NO/libXt.sl
+ test -r /usr/X11/lib/libXt.a
+ test -r /usr/X11/lib/libXt.so
+ ac_x_libraries=/usr/X11/lib
+ break 2
+ rm -f 'conftest*'
+ rm -fr conftestdir
+ mkdir conftestdir
+ cd conftestdir
+ cat
+ cd ..
+ rm -fr conftestdir
+ test NO = NO
+ echo 'configure: error: Can'\''t find X. Please add the correct paths.
View configure --help for usage!'
configure: error: Can't find X. Please add the correct paths. View
configure --help for usage!
+ exit 1

Any suggestions?

Danny

Compile problem

Post by Dann » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Now is one of libXt.a or libXt.so in /usr/X11/lib and are they
> readable by you to start with ?
> [...]

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           12 Nov  5 11:50
/usr/X11/lib/libXt.so -> libXt.so.6.0

Compile problem

Post by Dann » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >> Now is one of libXt.a or libXt.so in /usr/X11/lib and are they
> >> readable by you to start with ?
> >> [...]

> >lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           12 Nov  5 11:50
> >/usr/X11/lib/libXt.so -> libXt.so.6.0

> Okay, still does not mean libXt.so.6.0 is readable by
> you so I downloaded the source. Try again without -x-<whatever>
> as kicq checks some paths itself. Say just ./configure but
> remove config.cache first.

> The message "can't find X" comes up if either there is a problem
> with the X11 headers or the libraries, so check the whole output
> again.

I'm not exactly sure what you  mean. libXt.so.6.0 is readable by all
users.
I removed config.cache, but I got the same errors, still.

Danny

Compile problem

Post by Dann » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> If it does not compile you've got a problem and should use a
> kicq binary for the time being, if it compiles you've got a
> problem too and might use a kicq binary for the time being.

> Something is fishy with your installation, but cannot tell from
> here what it is.

Will try that. It can't be the installation, it happened with Mandrake
5.3, too.
Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Danny

Compile problem

Post by Dann » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I ran configure here -- it just went through up to the Qt libraries
> checks, which I do not have ...

What do you suggest I do? I really don't want to reinstall, but I will
if absolutely nescessary.

Compile problem

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> In that case you've a problem 8-) ... either change the configure
>> script, adding a ...
>> set -x
>> ... statement at the beginning or locate where this message
>> is coming from. configure does its feature testing by compiling
>> small test programmes. Having this one ought to help to sort
>> out the problem. The point is, if the build fails, e.g. due
>> to a missing library (like libXp with Motif) one just gets
>> an error message like that one.
[...]
>Okay, here is what I get near where it fails.

Yup.

Quote:>+ LIBS=
>++ echo NO
>++ sed s/include/lib/
>+ test -r NO/libXt.a
>+ test -r NO/libXt.so
>+ test -r NO/libXt.sl
>+ test -r /usr/X11/lib/libXt.a
>+ test -r /usr/X11/lib/libXt.so

Now is one of libXt.a or libXt.so in /usr/X11/lib and are they
readable by you to start with ?
[...]

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

Compile problem

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> Now is one of libXt.a or libXt.so in /usr/X11/lib and are they
>> readable by you to start with ?
>> [...]

>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           12 Nov  5 11:50
>/usr/X11/lib/libXt.so -> libXt.so.6.0

Okay, still does not mean libXt.so.6.0 is readable by
you so I downloaded the source. Try again without -x-<whatever>
as kicq checks some paths itself. Say just ./configure but
remove config.cache first.

The message "can't find X" comes up if either there is a problem
with the X11 headers or the libraries, so check the whole output
again.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

Compile problem

>> >lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           12 Nov  5 11:50
>> >/usr/X11/lib/libXt.so -> libXt.so.6.0

>> Okay, still does not mean libXt.so.6.0 is readable by
>> you so I downloaded the source. Try again without -x-<whatever>
>> as kicq checks some paths itself. Say just ./configure but
>> remove config.cache first.

>> The message "can't find X" comes up if either there is a problem
>> with the X11 headers or the libraries, so check the whole output
>> again.

>I'm not exactly sure what you  mean. libXt.so.6.0 is readable by all
>users.
>I removed config.cache, but I got the same errors, still.

Okay, try this one using -I/path/to/includes and -L/path/to/libraries
#include <X11/X.h>
int main() {
  return (0);
Quote:}

e.g. gcc -I/usr/include/X11 foo.c -L/usr/X11/lib -lX11 -lXt

If it does not compile you've got a problem and should use a
kicq binary for the time being, if it compiles you've got a
problem too and might use a kicq binary for the time being.

Something is fishy with your installation, but cannot tell from
here what it is.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

Compile problem

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> If it does not compile you've got a problem and should use a
>> kicq binary for the time being, if it compiles you've got a
>> problem too and might use a kicq binary for the time being.

>> Something is fishy with your installation, but cannot tell from
>> here what it is.

>Will try that. It can't be the installation, it happened with Mandrake
>5.3, too.

I ran configure here -- it just went through up to the Qt libraries
checks, which I do not have ...
[...]

Good luck,
Juergen

--

Post by Artur Swietanowsk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> When I try to compile X programs, I get the following message:

> checking for X... configure error: can't find X. Please add the
> correct paths. View configure --help for usage!

> I'm using SUSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.10. Any help is greatly
> appreciated!

I don't know SuSe, but... It's possible that development libraries
were not installed in the default distribution. They are usually
named <package>-devel-<version>. Trouble is, many do not have such
revealing names.

Maybe (depending on the installation procedure of your distro) you
may run the installation program again, select upgrade and, when
asked for packages you want to install, select all development
packages you can find.

HTH,
Artur Swietanowski               http://www.bigfoot.com/~swietanowski
Institut fr Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universit?t Wien,     Universit?tsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

Compile problem

Post by Detlef Sanche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Danny

Quote:> When I try to compile X programs, I get the following message:

> checking for X... configure error: can't find X. Please add the
> correct paths. View configure --help for usage!

> I'm using SUSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.10. Any help is greatly

Did you install the package xdevel from the x1 directory ??
That is needed to compile x-apps under suse.

Have Fun !

Detlef Sanchen

1. Qt compile problems and compiling in general

I am having problems compiling Qt.  The following is the output that
make gives me:

Matthew:/usr/local/qt# make
cd src/moc; make
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/qt/src/moc'
gcc -c -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -Wall -W -I/usr/X11R6/include
-I/usr/local/qt/include ../tools/qbuffer.cpp -o qbuffer.o
In file included from /usr/include/stdlib.h:42,
                 from ../tools/qbuffer.cpp:21:
/usr/include/errno.h:27: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [qbuffer.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt/src/moc'
make: *** [moc] Error 2

What do all these errors mean? Are they listed somewhere?  What can I do
to compile programs without having all these errors? Help!  Every time I
try to compile some program it returns an error--usually 1 and 2.  Any
program--not just specific programs.  This is really frustrating.
--
Matthew Vanecek
http://www.mjv.com for professional Web Site hosting.

except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...

2. gnucash problems

3. AMD K6-2Chips compile compile problems...

4. semaphore problems

5. ssh install problem (Newbie compile problem?)

6. [Will IDE CD-ROM work for Solaris x86?]

7. Network problem, kernel compile problem

8. ethernet: linuxppc to linux (pc)

9. gcc compiling problem: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

10. aix compile problem with openssh

11. DHCP compile problem

12. ifmail compiling problem

13. Printing / Compiling problems with Linux 1.1.50