Configuring RedHat wo/ using the instalation procedure.

Configuring RedHat wo/ using the instalation procedure.

Post by John Rol » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

This may be quite a unique problem, but...

I'd like to create an NFS mountable root filesystem from the unofficial Redhat m68k

distribution but I can't figure out how.  The filesystem will be created and live on

my PC.  I've tried to use rpm to install the m68k packages, but the instalation scripts

included in the packages need to execute stuff to install sucessfully, and its a PC not

a m68k.

I was sucessful in getting my VME card booted and running with Debain because the base

distribution is just a tar file with all the proper device nodes etc...

Is there a HOWTO that describes the RedHat instalation procedure in detail and may give

me some clues about how to proceed with my cross architecture instalation problems?

Thanks

John Roll

--
Software Engineering = Do the right thing.

1. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

I have made an attempt to instal linux on my 486dx2 66 & 1.8 Gb Harddisk & 20 Mb ram memmory
& Nec 5fge monitor & viper 2 MB vram graphic board.

I have read LINUX SCSI HOWTO and LINUX INSTALLATION HOWTO in both papers I could not find a solution.
I am new in the LINUX area and I don't have a clue what to do, so I ask the real prof's if they can help me out.

There is more information available if needed, please contact me.

1st I could go through the startup procedure, system hangs telling me
the following:

Partitiotion check:

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to allocate_device().

2th with dos fdisk I created on my second partition space for linux,
that is I changed the last logical drive for free space.

Under DOS I had 2 partitions 1 DOS and 1 EXTENDED :
DOS Partition 1 logical drive 102 MB, named C:
Extended Partition 10 logical drives 102 MB, named D: until M:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 600 MB, named N:

After the change:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 350 MB N:
Extended Partition about 250 MB free for LINUX

3th I started the instalation procedure again and now the system was
able to go beyond the error that acured in 1st.

4th I used linux fdisk to create sd16 swapdisk and sd17 linux native
disk and I wrote the information in the partition table and rebooted (stupid
idea I think now).

5th The computer or the installation reacts as in the 1st situation.

6th I tried dos fdisk to correct the problem but dos fdisk can't acces
the partition information anymore.

additional information:

Adaptec AHA-1542 CF BIOS v2.01 SCSI CARD

some information read from the screen while installing LINUX:

LILO

Welcome to slackware linux 2.3.0 bootkernel disk!

etc.

boot:           (enter to continue)

etc.

SCSI : 1 host

        Vendor: QUATUM   Model: PD1800S    Rev: 3162
        Type: Direct Acces      Ansi SCSI Revision: 02
Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi0, id 4, lun 0
scsi Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on device sda

Memory: etc. etc.

etc.

Checking 'hlt' instructions ok.

Partition Check :

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to
allocate_device().

After this the system hangs, I can use DOS drives c: until n:, I cannot use DOS FDISK.

I hope that I don't have to reformat my harddisk to solve the problem

Who can help me making DOS FDISK working again or to instal LINUX in the correct way ?

please HELP !!!

2. Info wanted on the AMD automounter

3. How do I configure a Sony CD ROM for a CD instalation?

4. s390 update (5/9): s390 network driver fixes.

5. Configuring Modem in Redhat Linux 7.3, using KPPP

6. Redhat 5 and TAR files

7. Help: Unable to configure XFree86 using both Redhat and Standard releases

8. 5.0.2 Signal 31 results in core dump

9. Configuring Login Procedure

10. The procedure of configure scripts

11. RedHat on hde problem with instalation

12. Notebook RedHat 5.1 Instalation problems

13. redhat linux instalation/