New video card, now linux won't start

Post by stevecanfi.. » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

A few weeks ago I upgraded my video card to a Creative Labs Blaster
Riva TNT (I think that's what it is called).  I have a dual boot system
and haven't started linux since that time.  Today when I tried to boot
into Linux (RH 6.0 with KDE 1.1) I never got to the graphical login
screen.  The system continually flashed some errors over and over and
over... about X failing to start.  I realized that I should have
changed my runlevel before trading in my video card, but i forgot.
*sigh*

So how can I force Linux to start in text mode so that I can
reconfigure X?  I can boot from my RH CD-ROM, but I'm not sure how to
mount the partition that contains my /etc folder.  Please help!!!

--steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

New video card, now linux won't start

Post by Silviu Minu » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Boot from floppy.
/etc is on the root partition (now you understand why the root partition
is so important) and will be there when you boot.

> A few weeks ago I upgraded my video card to a Creative Labs Blaster
> Riva TNT (I think that's what it is called).  I have a dual boot system
> and haven't started linux since that time.  Today when I tried to boot
> into Linux (RH 6.0 with KDE 1.1) I never got to the graphical login
> screen.  The system continually flashed some errors over and over and
> over... about X failing to start.  I realized that I should have
> changed my runlevel before trading in my video card, but i forgot.
> *sigh*

> So how can I force Linux to start in text mode so that I can
> reconfigure X?  I can boot from my RH CD-ROM, but I'm not sure how to
> mount the partition that contains my /etc folder.  Please help!!!

> --steve

New video card, now linux won't start

Post by stevecanfi.. » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

[ stuff deleted ]

Quote:> So how can I force Linux to start in text mode so that I can
> reconfigure X?  I can boot from my RH CD-ROM, but I'm not sure how to
> mount the partition that contains my /etc folder.  Please help!!!

Replying to my own post is a little weird but...

I figured this out by reading a bunch of HOWTO's.  Who woulda
guessed? :)

At the Lilo prompt I entered:
    linux 3
to start in runlevel 3