What is this: KCharset: Wrong charset! (etc.)

What is this: KCharset: Wrong charset! (etc.)

Post by i.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My Suse 6.2 trots along quite nicely,
except the fact that when I have, after
booting Linux up, entered and exited KDE via
startx, the console displays this error message,
several times:

"KCharset: Wrong charset! "

As if trying to explain it's inner
feelings to me it also says:

kwm: X_Configuration(0x28000a7) Bad Match
invalid parameter

Waiting for X server to shut down.

Furthermore it complains about something
about some pictures and removing 'GimmickMode',
whatever that is.

I have searchedthrough the very thorough Suse
Manual and 3-4 other Linux reference books, but
not one has KCharset in the index.

What parameters should I fix where and how?
I seem to be unable to find any man page
or other information about this stuff.

About character sets:the languages I use with
my linux are Finnish and UK English. The Finnish
characters are o.k. in KDE-programs like the
terminal emulator, but in the console the Finnish
diacritical characters show as {:s etc.

maek

Post by MH » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> My Suse 6.2 trots along quite nicely,
> except the fact that when I have, after
> booting Linux up, entered and exited KDE via
> startx, the console displays this error message,
> several times:

> "KCharset: Wrong charset! "

> As if trying to explain it's inner
> feelings to me it also says:

> kwm: X_Configuration(0x28000a7) Bad Match
> invalid parameter

> Waiting for X server to shut down.

> Furthermore it complains about something
> about some pictures and removing 'GimmickMode',
> whatever that is.

> I have searchedthrough the very thorough Suse
> Manual and 3-4 other Linux reference books, but
> not one has KCharset in the index.

> What parameters should I fix where and how?
> I seem to be unable to find any man page
> or other information about this stuff.

> About character sets:the languages I use with
> my linux are Finnish and UK English. The Finnish
> characters are o.k. in KDE-programs like the
> terminal emulator, but in the console the Finnish
> diacritical characters show as {:s etc.

> maek

I'm running KDE 1.1.2 on RH 6.0 and frequently see the same types of
messages.  I'm guessing KDE isn't able to load a particular font that it
is expecting for some reason.  Doesn't seem to be a serious problem,
probably because KDE falls back on an available font.  I'm as curious as
you are to know what exactly is causing it.  I had the same problem with
KDE 1.1.1.

1. KCharset: Wrong charset! repost

It seems like my earlier post somehow may have been deleted

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Here's the scenario

I have finally just finished compiling KDE  3.1.2 /NetBSD /Sparc using
pkgsrc. (clean install from scratch)

Currently I have KDE up and running, however.. every time I open the KDE
control center, (or launch any other application for that matter) I get the
following error:

KCharset: Wrong Charset!

The messages scroll the whole screen with what looks to be errors coming
from the NetBSD command line?

This makes it difficult to navigate the KDE desktop and pretty much forces
me to have to "refresh desktop" every time an application is launched.

I have searched around the news groups and only find references to posts
that are several years old that refer to older versions of KDE (i.e. 1.x
etc..) and other operating systems.

Any new info on how to stop this error on current stable release of KDE 3.x
running on NetBSD 1.6.1?

As always, your help is appreciated!

2. Adding new modules

3. KCharset: Wrong charset!

4. Hyperterminal to UNIX machine

5. at-1.1a.tar.Z uploaded to tsx-11

6. KCharset: Wrong Charset!....?!

7. need print spooling package

8. Kproblem : "KCharset : Wrong charset!"

9. KCharset: Wrong charset!

10. Kcharset: wrong charset ?

11. KCharset: Wrong charset!

12. KDE-1.1.1 BUG: KCharset: Wrong charset