Anyone have busmouse kernel?

Post by llecle » Sun, 22 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I am looking for a kernel that someone has already made that has
busmouse (not ps2mouse) support, as well as PPP, and IDE support and
would rather not go through the haggle creating my own.

If one of you already has one of these, and is willing to let me have
a copy of the binary (it's for a pentium class machine, but 386/486 is
fine too), could you please let me know;

Thanks,

Lou Leclerc

Post by Rhys Thury » Sun, 29 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: I am looking for a kernel that someone has already made that has
: busmouse (not ps2mouse) support, as well as PPP, and IDE support and
: would rather not go through the haggle creating my own.

: If one of you already has one of these, and is willing to let me have
: a copy of the binary (it's for a pentium class machine, but 386/486 is
: fine too), could you please let me know;

That is a bad idea.  You should always compile your own kernels.

Here's the entire command line to remake your kernel, assuming you
already have gcc installed, and the linux source in /usr/src/linux, and
you are in the /usr/src/linux directory:

make config ; make dep ; make clean ; make zlilo

That runs the configuration script, sets up all the dependencies, cleans
out old binaries (just to be safe), compiles the kernel, compresses it,
and reruns LILO to use your new kernel.  It also moves your old kernel to
/vmlinuz.old.

If you need any help with it, write me, but you really should remake it
yourself.  It's not very difficult.

--

                                                        --ccthuryn

1. My Adventures in Mouseland (or when is a busmouse not a busmouse...)

The process of getting my mouse to work under linux proved, to say the
least to be quite educational.  When I bought my mouse, a few years ago,
it was in a box quite clearly labelled Microsoft Bus Mouse and as I sit
here with it in front of me the letters M i c r o s o f t are quite
clearly embossed on the surface.

Silly me, I thought it was pretty straightforward to get it working.

First I changed the MOUSEIRQ in busmouse.h from 5 (which clearly wouldn't
work) to 2 and got the magic 'device or resource busy' message.  After much
perusing through the mail archives I discovered that MOUSEIRQ needed to be
9.  (Amazing.  Shouldn't this be in a FAQ or Howto somewhere?)

Girding my loins and rebuilding my kernal I discovered that I no longer
had a dead mouse.  Victory!!  Well, not quite.   Firing up X gave me a
mouse that seemed to jump in any old direction and be most uncivilized in
its behavior.  Investigation with the mouse test program proved that I was
getting interesting non-random values.  Clearly my mouse was trying to
tell me something and I was listening at the wrong mousehole.

Braving the warnings all over my documentation I opened my tower and with
deft application of a Phillips screwdrvier removed my mouse card.  On it I
found the confusing legend Microsoft In Port.

Aha!  A clue!  Restoring the mouse card to its desired location I
reconfigured linux for the ATI Inport Mouse driver (again changing the
MOUSEIRQ in the atixlmouse.c file or some such.)  After rebuilding the
system and firing up X I again got a jumpy mouse that insisted on drawing
funny little rectangles.  Not at all satisfying though definitely interesting.

Back to the mouse tester I tried the mouse definitions one at a time.  Lo
and behold.  MMSeries gave me something that looked like rational results.
I changed my Xconfig and voila!  I have a working mouse.

Now if some kind soul will explain all of this to me I would certain
appreciate it.  Meanwhile, don't dropt the InPort mouse support.  Some may
need it though they don't even know it.

Thank you for your support,

--Byron

--
Byron C. Howes                      Computer Systems Manager

2. NEWBIE ? How can I tell if Php is Enabled

3. BUSMICE - can't find ATI busmouse

4. Modem

5. Logitech pulls a fast one with there Mouseman II 'buhs' mouse (mice, busmouse, busmice)

6. fsck from boot/root disk

7. BUSMICE-DELL P133 PS/2 Busmouse not working in X

8. fsck - affects of checking mounted file systems

9. Anyone have ATIXL busmouse working?

10. Microsoft Busmouse and X; unable to recompile kernel

11. Kernel 2.2.2 VS Busmouse

12. Logitech Busmouse (SLS-1.0, Kernel-99.6, XFree-1.2)

13. after an ABORTED kernel recompile, my busmouse SUDDENLY won't work !!!