hdsetup and dialog died after kernel recompile!

hdsetup and dialog died after kernel recompile!

Post by Murp » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 03:59:47

Well, I just upgraded from my older Linux system (kernel 1.0.9) to the
spiffy new(er) Slackware 2.1 distribution.  The first thing I did was to
recompile the kernel, and edit /etc/lilo.conf to have "vga = ask" (same
as on my previous system). Well, I then realized I'd forgotten to install
the N series, so I go into setup. Or rather, I attempted to. It cleared
my screen and just sat there, cursor flashing, doing nothing. I flipped
to another virtual console, did a ps, and it showed hdsetup to be running
fine. Upon experimentation, I discovered that, apparently, nothing using
dialog will work. It just won't display.

I tried re-editing LILO to vga = normal, rebooting - no luck.  I tried
using my old kernel - zip. Tried using the old kernel from the bootdisk I
made (I normally boot off h.d. with lilo) - nada. Any ideas?

1. need to recompile ftape: recompile kernel too?

I'm trying to get ftape to work, and after upgrading my kernel to
2.0.0 on my Red Hat system I noticed the tape controller hex address
is wrong. I corrected the makefile in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/ftape so now I need to re-compile. I have
ftape setup as a loadable module.

The main question is do I need to recompile the whole kernel + modules
or should I just recompile ftape? Can I just run 'make modules' then
'make modules_install' and have it work? Or should I just run make in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/ftape and move ftape.o to
/lib/modules/2.0.0?

Any advice or insight is appreciated.
--

David

| Mechanical Engineering Senior                                      |
| Mississippi State University             OS/2 and Linux user       |
|                                                                    |
|        "I'd explain it, but there's a lot of math." -- Calvin.     |
|                                                                    |
+------------- http://www2.msstate.edu/~dmi1/index.html -------------+

2. SoundChip of Notebook VirageII?

3. Dialog more than one dialog-field

4. Gettys

5. PC-NFS, printing, bannerpage. die.die.die

6. is there an xdm with better looks

7. Zombie die die die

8. Any problems with ASUS TX97 family?

9. /ethan die,die,die

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

12. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel

13. callback, ppp, and morning-afters