Lockup on AST 950

Post by Bill Whitin » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have copied Linux onto an AST-950. I couldn't install since I don't
have access to a CD.  I booted from floppies, and formated the disk, and
copied the most of the files through sneakernet (floppies).  The system
boots OK, but if I'm running on the battery, it will invariably lock up
after a few minutes.  I can't switch consoles, no keystrokes are
recognized, not even a three finger salute.  If I run on AC, then it
seems to run OK.

Does anyone else have experience with Linux on this type of laptop?

Thanks,
Bill Whiting

1. Screen Lockup on AST 950 Laptop

Hi,
I'm a happy owner of an AST 950N, too. I also expirience that loockup,
but only if I'm running in that power savings mode. What happens is that
the keyboard and the mouse lock up, the HD spins up from time to
time due to bdflush (I guess). To avoid that simply press Fn+F4, the
"turbo" mode switch (the cpu runs always the same speed). Then your
machine runs just fine on batteries, for quite some time (I'm very
happy with the time the battery lasts.)

Klaus
     Klaus Lichtenwalder, Dipl. Inform., Fax +49-89-98292755

2. Problems setting up Local LAN

3. AST 950

4. bi-directional "pipe"

5. Sound induced lockup on AST Laptop

6. eth0: unknown device HELP!

7. Help fd tmc-950

8. Monitoring traffic by port under 2.4/iptables

9. Furute Domain 950 8 bit SCSI problems with install

10. Help needed...Future Domain 950 not recognised

11. openbsd and Quadra 950

12. Future domain TMC-950

13. Help -- SCSI, Future Domain TMC-950