Linux Router Setup ?

Post by Anton Erasmu » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:08:08

Hi,

Is there a package (Commercial or opensource) that gives the same
functionality, but can be installed on top of an existing distro ? I
want to set up a RedHat 8 system as a router similar to Freesco, but I
want to use it as a Samba Server as well as a PostgreSQL server at the
same time. I have managed to setup PostgreSQL so that I can connect to
it from a Windows box, as well as the Samba server. When I start on
the different apps that make up freesco. (ppp, diald, NAT etc.) my
novice status in Linux quickly becomes apparent. I would also like to
have more control on the internet traffic than freesco currently
provides. e.g. block certain computers to have only mail access.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Linux Router Setup ?

Post by jeffy dont hit the repl » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:05:10

Quick suggestion:

Pick a distribution and learn it's features....
Fresco is a distribution, RedHat is another distribution.

You can replicate the features of FreeSco within RedHat or another large
distribution.

It sounds like you want to have dial on demand.  The ppp package
provides that functionality.

Nat and firewalling can be controlled using iptables or with an iptables
script like ShoreWall. Using iptables, it is easily possible to limit
access to certain machines.

Customizing a Linux distribution can be one of the steepest learing
curves, but it can pay off in it's ability to do anything asked.

The alternative is to look for a specialized distribution that has all
the features you are looking for.  A good starting place is www.lwn.net
and www.linuxiso.com.

Remember this is fun.

> Hi,

> Is there a package (Commercial or opensource) that gives the same
> functionality, but can be installed on top of an existing distro ? I
> want to set up a RedHat 8 system as a router similar to Freesco, but I
> want to use it as a Samba Server as well as a PostgreSQL server at the
> same time. I have managed to setup PostgreSQL so that I can connect to
> it from a Windows box, as well as the Samba server. When I start on
> the different apps that make up freesco. (ppp, diald, NAT etc.) my
> novice status in Linux quickly becomes apparent. I would also like to
> have more control on the internet traffic than freesco currently
> provides. e.g. block certain computers to have only mail access.

> Regards
>    Anton Erasmus

1. Easy Linux router setup

I am building a practice lan with four routers and would like to use
Linux routing. I have used Redhat for awhile on a single computer, but
have no experience at all using linux in a networking environment.
Therefore, what would be the easiest way to set up four linux routers?

1)Would it be using LRP? Is there any better documentation of the setup
than at http://www.linuxrouter.org/ ?
2)Does Redhat 6.1 have a router included? How should I set it up?
Could I then use Redhat while the routing program is running in the
background?
3)Which linux routing software is the most commonly used?

Does anybody have some links with practical information of how to set
up linux routers?

Would be very greatful for any help!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. >>> TO SHAREWARE AUTHORS! <<<

3. Linux Router Setup

4. Getting make errorsand need HELP.

5. oops while booting : 2.5.70-bk1[4,5] - Process swapper

6. Linux Router Setup Help

7. KDE Screen Jumps..

8. first-time linux router setup?

9. Linux setup as IPX router and TCP/IP router??

10. Cisco Router/OpenBSD router firewall setup

11. can I setup linux as a router to DSL and cable?