Linux x DVD-ROM drive?

Post by Vanz » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

     Hi there,

     I'd like to know if I can use a DVD-ROM drive under Linux to read
CD's (I really don't mind not being able to read DVD's, but I need the
CD's).

     This doubt is one of the things pushing me away from a DVD drive at
the moment... if it can work as a standard CD-ROM under Linux, it's
great.

     Thanks for any info, Marcelo.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Linux x DVD-ROM drive?

Post by Andy Tra » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Yes, you can. I set up Slackware from my DVD drive!

>     Hi there,

>     I'd like to know if I can use a DVD-ROM drive under Linux to read
>CD's (I really don't mind not being able to read DVD's, but I need the
>CD's).

>     This doubt is one of the things pushing me away from a DVD drive at
>the moment... if it can work as a standard CD-ROM under Linux, it's
>great.

>     Thanks for any info, Marcelo.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Linux x DVD-ROM drive?

Post by Craig Stewar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had some problems with my DVD drive setting up RH (5.2) previously, but
that was due to the fact that transferring files was problematic because of
the difference in DVD-ROM and CD-ROM protocols(?)  In short, if you have had
no problems loading software off of the DVD in Windows (i.e. it loads all
the files correctly without a problem), it will just show up in Linux as
another CD-ROM drive.

Good luck installing,
craig

> Yes, you can. I set up Slackware from my DVD drive!

> >     Hi there,

> >     I'd like to know if I can use a DVD-ROM drive under Linux to read
> >CD's (I really don't mind not being able to read DVD's, but I need the
> >CD's).

> >     This doubt is one of the things pushing me away from a DVD drive at
> >the moment... if it can work as a standard CD-ROM under Linux, it's
> >great.

> >     Thanks for any info, Marcelo.

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Linux x DVD-ROM drive?

Post by kennethri.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

No problem at all. I just attached mine as a slave on the primary IDE
controller and put the CD-RWR on the secondary IDE. Getting linux to
recognize both took a little tweaking of /etc/fstab, but took just a
couple of minutes. If you've only got one CD-type drive, you won't even
need to do this.

Now if I could just figure out how to *watch* DVDs . . .

--Ken

Quote:>      Hi there,

>      I'd like to know if I can use a DVD-ROM drive under Linux to read
> CD's (I really don't mind not being able to read DVD's, but I need the
> CD's).

>      This doubt is one of the things pushing me away from a DVD drive
at
> the moment... if it can work as a standard CD-ROM under Linux, it's
> great.

>      Thanks for any info, Marcelo.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Linux x DVD-ROM drive?

Post by Philippe Devlo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I installed Redhat 6.0 on a machine with a DVD. It configured it as a cdrom
without any hassle.

Philippe

Quote:>      Hi there,