Tape Backup Methods with RH6.1

Post by Max File » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Didn't seem to find a HOWTO on this one!

Can someone give me quick tour on how to use the tape
drive on our Compaq computer running RH6.1? Isn't there
a simple tar command we could issue that would backup
the whole drive to the tape? Any advice would be appreciated.

Post by Mazzach » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Didn't seem to find a HOWTO on this one!

>Can someone give me quick tour on how to use the tape
>drive on our Compaq computer running RH6.1? Isn't there
>a simple tar command we could issue that would backup
>the whole drive to the tape? Any advice would be appreciated.

You may want to use the "find" command to select the files you want
back up of, with find you can make a command like the following:

find / -mount | cpio | buffer -o /dev/mt

This will backup everything on the local harddrive (the -mount is in
case you have shared drives from servers, these won't be backuped
then) pipe them into cpio (you might want to add some options here)
and then into buffer for a contingous flow to the tape drive... (the
dev should ofcause be your tape drive)... this will allow you to
backup every file...

There are otherways also... lots, actually :-)

- Mazzachre

1. Backup methods for those with DOS tape units.

Now that linux is getting larger, backups are becoming an issue,
here's one solution that was originally posted to alt.os.linux.

I found that my /etc/mtools config-file version of mtools (from
tsx-11? - I can't remember), didn't allow mwrite to accept it's input
from stdin.  But Charles directed me to mtoolbin an mtoolsrc on
cs.rutgers.edu in /pub/linux.  I found that the cs.rutgers.edu version
doesn't support /etc/mtools, but that the patches for this can be
applied to mtoolsrc to get the best of both worlds.

--
Michael Hamilton, Computer Services Section, Wellington City Council, P.O. Box
2199, Wellington, New Zealand.  Phone: (64) (4)801-3300  FAX: (64) (4)801-3020

2. X Windows is too small

3. Data Backup Method using Magnetic Tape (DDS-2)

4. Automate Creation of Student Accounts

5. Questions about a disksuite / tape backup method.

6. VIA chipset

7. Backup method for users with DOS tape units.

8. WANTED: Driver for Optical Drive (IBM MD3125)

9. Tape Backup Method

10. Best remote backup method to tape, for multiple systems?

11. RH6.0 and tape backup

12. Which backup tool to backup huge filesystems to tape?

13. Solstice Backup 5.1 / DMO 2.1/Oracle 8.1.5: Tape backup failed : Need of 5.5 Upgrade ?