RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

Post by Peter Schwen » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I recently downloaded the boot.img and supp.img floppy image files and
RAWRITEd them onto brand-new, formatted floppies.  I'm experiencing a
strange problem with them.  I have a DEC DECpc 450ST that won't boot
from the boot floppy.  It's got the latest BIOS available for it.  The
boot floppy will boot on other PCs (I tried a Gateway).  I can boot
other floppies just fine on the DEC (older RH4.2 boot floppy, a SuSE
Linux 5.2, a DOS 6.21 floppy all boot).  I've tried creating the
floppies on both the DEC and a Gateway, and the result is the same.  I
can't figure out why the floppy won't boot on the DEC.

Can anyone think what might be going wrong?

--
PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware

RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

Post by Simon Chi » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

 > I recently downloaded the boot.img and supp.img floppy image
 > files and RAWRITEd them onto brand-new, formatted floppies.  I'm
 > experiencing a strange problem with them.  I have a DEC DECpc
 > 450ST that won't boot from the boot floppy.  It's got the latest
 > BIOS available for it.  The boot floppy will boot on other PCs
 > (I tried a Gateway).  I can boot other floppies just fine on the
 > DEC (older RH4.2 boot floppy, a SuSE Linux 5.2, a DOS 6.21
 > floppy all boot).  I've tried creating the floppies on both the
 > DEC and a Gateway, and the result is the same.  I can't figure
 > out why the floppy won't boot on the DEC.

Been there, tried all that (booting DOS floppies and RH4.2 floppies
etc) and more (tried fitting a replacement floppy drive, tried
disabling cache in BIOS settings, tried... you name it).

I gave in and registered with RedHat for support. They think it's
strange and can't explain it.

However I later thought to do it a different way, which may not work
for you as it sounds as though you don't have the CD? I put my CD
drivers on a DOS boot floppy, booted from that, and ran autoboot off
the CD - installed fine.

--
Simon Child

RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

Post by vacu » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I put my CD
> drivers on a DOS boot floppy, booted from that, and ran autoboot off
> the CD - installed fine.

> --
> Simon Child

But he has already installed. He wants to have floppy(s) that he can
boot from.

Actually, I'm beginning to suspect that RH has purposely disabled this
function. This based on observing many pleas to ng's - no valid
replies forthcoming.

BTW, were *you* able to create boot floppy(s) after your CD RH
install?

Vacuo
-.  ..---  -.-  --.-  .-

RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

Post by Simon Chi » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

 > But he has already installed. He wants to have floppy(s) that he
 > can boot from.

Rereading his post he doesn't appear to say that, though you may be
correct.

 > BTW, were *you* able to create boot floppy(s) after your CD RH
 > install?

I created a boot floppy during the install, and tested it and it
worked.

But I can't still boot the RH5.1 installation boot floppy, either
the original supplied in the boxed set, or two others that I made
from the CD, on this machine. They will all successfuly boot a
different machine.

I was installing to a machine with RH4.2 on it. 4.2 boot disk booted
fine. 5.1 wouldn't, hung loading initrd.img (IIRC)

Made a 5.1 boot disk off the CD on another machine using rawrite -
no good.

Made a 5.1 boot disk off the CD on the 4.2 machine using dd (in case
it was a floppy head alignment problem, so I made the disk on the
machine that I was trying to boot)

Tried changing the floppy drive

Tried all sorts.

In my linux box (which installed 4.2 OK) I could not boot any of my
three 5.1 install boot floppies (which all worked in another
machine) in either of the floppy drives.

But having eventually installed via autoboot off CD the emergency
boot floppy works whilst the install boot floppy does not!

--
Simon Child

RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

Post by Ollie Aches » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure if this will help, but here's some of my experience.
Following a recompile of my kernel, I wanted to generate a new boot
disk. While in the directory where the kernel resided I typed:

        dd if=vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0

This copied the kernel (named vmlinuz) to the floppy in the a: drive.
This wasn't enough, though, since booting it failed when it was unable
to mount a root file system. The boot disk HOWTO told me then to type:

        rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda4

where hda4 is where my root fs is.

Diskette booted fine after that.

Ollie

> > But he has already installed. He wants to have floppy(s) that he
> > can boot from.

>Rereading his post he doesn't appear to say that, though you may be
>correct.

> > BTW, were *you* able to create boot floppy(s) after your CD RH
> > install?

>I created a boot floppy during the install, and tested it and it
>worked.

>But I can't still boot the RH5.1 installation boot floppy, either
>the original supplied in the boxed set, or two others that I made
>from the CD, on this machine. They will all successfuly boot a
>different machine.

>I was installing to a machine with RH4.2 on it. 4.2 boot disk booted
>fine. 5.1 wouldn't, hung loading initrd.img (IIRC)

>Made a 5.1 boot disk off the CD on another machine using rawrite -
>no good.

>Made a 5.1 boot disk off the CD on the 4.2 machine using dd (in case
>it was a floppy head alignment problem, so I made the disk on the
>machine that I was trying to boot)

>Tried changing the floppy drive

>Tried all sorts.

>In my linux box (which installed 4.2 OK) I could not boot any of my
>three 5.1 install boot floppies (which all worked in another
>machine) in either of the floppy drives.

>But having eventually installed via autoboot off CD the emergency
>boot floppy works whilst the install boot floppy does not!

>--
>Simon Child

RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

Post by Peter Schwen » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Just to clarify my plight...

I can boot any other floppy disk that I've tried on the DECpc, except for the
RH5.1 boot floppy.  I haven't installed it on the system because I can't get the
floppy to boot.  I even went out and bought the boxed set of RH5.1 (the official
3-CD box), and it's floppy didn't work either (I wasn't surprised at this
point).

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to boot from the CDROM.  It's a SCSI CDROM (ID
6).  I've got two SCSI disks (IDs 0 and 1), both 1GB.  The controller is an
Adaptec 1740.  I've got DOS installed in a 100MB partition on the first disk
(duh!).  Can anyone think of an inventive way to get the CDROM to boot?  Would
it work if I made it ID 0?  I might try that for fun.

I've got SuSE Linux 5.2 installed on the rest of the disks (/ and swap on the
rest of the first, /usr on the second disk).  Is there an inventive way to get
LILO to boot from the CDROM?

This is the kookiest situation I've encountered with Linux!  I can boot the
RH5.1 Boot Floppy on any other machine I try!

As one more piece of information, the DECpc 450st is an EISA-bus computer.  The
BIOS is the latest one from the DEC web site.

Thanks in advance for your help!

> Hello,

> I recently downloaded the boot.img and supp.img floppy image files and
> RAWRITEd them onto brand-new, formatted floppies.  I'm experiencing a
> strange problem with them.  I have a DEC DECpc 450ST that won't boot
> from the boot floppy.  It's got the latest BIOS available for it.  The
> boot floppy will boot on other PCs (I tried a Gateway).  I can boot
> other floppies just fine on the DEC (older RH4.2 boot floppy, a SuSE
> Linux 5.2, a DOS 6.21 floppy all boot).  I've tried creating the
> floppies on both the DEC and a Gateway, and the result is the same.  I
> can't figure out why the floppy won't boot on the DEC.

> Can anyone think what might be going wrong?

> --
> PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
> Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware

--
PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware

RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

Post by Peter Schwen » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I read in the RH5.1 manual about the method of installing without booting
floppies by invoking the <CDROM>:\DOSUTILS\AUTOBOOT.BAT batch file in DOS.  I
had to go rooting around for a DOS CDROM driver for my Adaptec 1740 card, but
once I had that everything fell into place.  I'm now able to install RH5.1 on
this odd-ball DECpc 450st.  Thanks for responding to my questions!

> Hello,

> I recently downloaded the boot.img and supp.img floppy image files and
> RAWRITEd them onto brand-new, formatted floppies.  I'm experiencing a
> strange problem with them.  I have a DEC DECpc 450ST that won't boot
> from the boot floppy.  It's got the latest BIOS available for it.  The
> boot floppy will boot on other PCs (I tried a Gateway).  I can boot
> other floppies just fine on the DEC (older RH4.2 boot floppy, a SuSE
> Linux 5.2, a DOS 6.21 floppy all boot).  I've tried creating the
> floppies on both the DEC and a Gateway, and the result is the same.  I
> can't figure out why the floppy won't boot on the DEC.

> Can anyone think what might be going wrong?

> --
> PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
> Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware

--
PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware

1. Newbie: CONFIGURE'd boot floppy - won't boot

I successfully performed a UMSDOS install of the Slackware distribution
(from floppy disks A,AP,Q,U) on my laptop:
   Epson 4SLC/25  (486 25MHz)
   4Mb RAM
   120 MB HD

After the installation completed, it prompted me to create a boot floppy,
which I did (and have re-tried several times, but to no avail).

This boot floppy does not boot - the computer goes through the POST, spins
the floppy once, then just sits there dead in the water.

BTW, I formatted this floppy under DOS both with and without /S;  it didn't
make any difference.

BTW also, I am trying to use the idekern kernel (at least until I can get
a regular boot off my boot floppy).

Any ideas?  The Installation-HOWTO isn't very specific about this kind of
problem.

Question:  If I were to boot using the installation boot/root disks, and
           did an "ls" on this troubled boot floppy, what (if anything)
           should I see?

Many thanks!

-Gerard

2. obtain time and changing passwd through www

3. 1.4.2 boot floppy won't boot

4. inetd.conf

5. Linux floppy won't boot, DOS floppy will

6. How do I view a history of commands ...

7. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

8. Sendmail Aliasing Question - Hopefully Simple

9. Can't complete install of Slakware, won't make boot floppy

10. Can't boot with rh5 boot disk please help

11. RH5.2 install on sparc won't boot

12. ***** HELP PLEASE Linux RH5.1 won't boot

13. RH5.2 won't boot now