routing for ppp and eth question

Post by roo » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

This posting is a last resort to get some help - I've rtfm'd everything
I can get my hands on but still confused about the problem...

Problem: my default gateway is a monoFrad dsu/csu onto a frame relay
which I access via ppp device. my localnet is ether (NE2000) cards on
all the machines. Linux box is directly connected to the monoFrad over
serial line (hence the ppp route). However, I can't get the ethernet
machines to talk.

case: 1 win95 pc running tropic or winsock TCP/IP on top of a packet
driver, NE2000 installed and can ping localhost but can't get response
from linux box. netstat -i shows the eth0 RX-OK incrementing when the pc
is pinging TX-OK increments as well - which I assume means the linux
box is responding to the ping. however, I can't get a ping to succeed
from either direction.

my routing table has:

1 default route to the monoFrad on ppp0
1 route to the network (nnn.nnn.nnn.0) on eth0
1 route to loopback

I was assuming that the route to the ethernet device would allow for
the hosts on ether to talk.

I've tried static routes to individual machines on both ppp and eth
devices to no avail - also tried routed and gated as well as arp.

I'm running kernel 1.3.59 with forwarding/gatewaying, IPX and other
relavent net configurations set.

my routed /etc/gateways has an entry for the frad as a host (active)
and an entry for the win95pc gatewayed through localhost (passive).

If you have any suggestions or can point me to some previous article
where this is covered - please do!

Thanks,

Soryn

This is rapidly becoming the Winter Of My Despondancy...

1. route based on incoming eth out ppp - two eth / two ppp

I have two ethernet connections to an internal lan and two
outbound connections via ppp - two seperate isp's

I need to be able to route traffic based on incoming source.

                   25
 ------->| eth0    | --------->ppp0 ---------> Internet
              |    80        |
              |              |
              |    26        |
 ------->| eth0:1  | --------->ppp1 ---------> Internet
                  8080

I have two squid and two sendmail daemons running each
bound to it's interface.
Outbound mail needs to be able to go through it's
respective isp's smtp server as a smart host - hence
the traffic shaping.

I have scripted the connection and then added the following
iptables setup. Unfortunately it is not working.

#/bin/bash!
p0=`/sbin/ifconfig |grep P-t-P | awk '{print $2}' \
|sed -e 's/addr\://g;' |grep 209`
p1=`/sbin/ifconfig |grep P-t-P | awk '{print $2}' \
|sed -e 's/addr\://g;' |grep 129`
#
echo $p0
echo $p1
# Setup IPTABLES
                iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -j MARK --set-mark 20
                iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -j MARK --set-mark 21
                ip route add default via $p0 dev ppp0 table 22
                ip route add default via $p1 dev ppp1 table 23
                ip rule add fwmark 20 table 22
                ip rule add fwmark 21 table 23

Can anyone see where i have made a mistake in this?

Thanks for any and all help,

Cheers,

Chris

2. data2obj

3. 2 x ppp and 1 x eth routing question

4. PCMCIA SCSI Card Recommendations?

5. routing for ppp and eth question

6. X stops networking [was: networking OK only if manually started]

7. routing out two ppp lines via source eth - iptables

8. A /var/tmp/ question...

9. Routing with ppp and eth

10. Need help:routing table for 1 eth and n ppp interfaces

11. IPX RIP/SAP routing between ppp and eth

12. Create routing table for 1 eth and multiple ppp interface

13. eth + ppp routing problem