Dual Booting Error - Not booting

Post by kuma » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:46:33

Dear Friends,

I wanted to have a dual booting for the linux on my windows box. I
have 2 HDD, one formatted and used for windows 2000.

Then I have installed the 2nd HDD, which is a secondary to by box,
with RED HAT linux 7.2. The following are the partition size that i
have created.
/ - 1GB, /boot - 64 MB, /var-1GB, /usr - 4GB, /home - 2 GB and /temp -
1GB. During the installation, i haved opted for putting the boot
loader in the hdb. Then I have created the boot disk also.

While I try to boot the linux using the boot floopy, i got the
following error
 Boot Failed : Please change disks and press a key to continue. "

can anybody advise m, how to boot. If i didnt use linux boot floopy,
then my Windows works fine.

Note: Do you guys, need to read the content of the LDLINUX system
file, which is in the boot floopy?

Thanks in advance.

kumar

Post by Dr. Yuan Li » Thu, 01 May 2003 11:53:47

> Dear Friends,

> I wanted to have a dual booting for the linux on my windows box. I
> have 2 HDD, one formatted and used for windows 2000.

> Then I have installed the 2nd HDD, which is a secondary to by box,
> with RED HAT linux 7.2. The following are the partition size that i
> have created.
> / - 1GB, /boot - 64 MB, /var-1GB, /usr - 4GB, /home - 2 GB and /temp -
> 1GB. During the installation, i haved opted for putting the boot
> loader in the hdb. Then I have created the boot disk also.

> While I try to boot the linux using the boot floopy, i got the
> following error
>  Boot Failed : Please change disks and press a key to continue. "

Most likely the boot floppy doesn't contain vmlinuz, which sometime
RedHat installer gives.  Does boot fail only when floppy boot?

Yuan Liu

Quote:> can anybody advise m, how to boot. If i didnt use linux boot floopy,
> then my Windows works fine.

> Note: Do you guys, need to read the content of the LDLINUX system
> file, which is in the boot floopy?

> Thanks in advance.

> kumar

Dual Booting Error - Not booting

Post by kuma » Thu, 01 May 2003 16:32:38

Dr.Yuan......My bootup floopy has the vmlinuz file of 786KB. I am
unable the boot the system without boot the floppy.
As i said it is dual operation with windows 2000, if i didnt put linux
bootup floppy, windows directly loaded.
So to load the linux, i have used the bootup floppy and get the
following error.
Could you please guide me on how to create a bootup floppy from the
linux machine.

Regards
Kumar

Post by Dr. Yuan LI » Mon, 05 May 2003 18:30:06

> Dr.Yuan......My bootup floopy has the vmlinuz file of 786KB. I am
> unable the boot the system without boot the floppy.
> As i said it is dual operation with windows 2000, if i didnt put linux
> bootup floppy, windows directly loaded.

Pls do not top post.  I am not sure why and when RH gives a "boot
floppy" that doesn't contain vmlinuz; because yours already has this, it
may not be the case. (The boot message seems to suggest that your kernel
boot has completed.  In this case, I don't know how to interpret the
next error message.)  But you can try to reconfigure your CMOS using its
setup program to boot from the 2nd HDD onto which you put the boot
loader.  You could be lucky enough to boot into Linux this way.  If not,
search precious postings about dual booting from 2nd HDD.

Good luck.

Yuan Liu

> So to load the linux, i have used the bootup floppy and get the
> following error.
> Could you please guide me on how to create a bootup floppy from the
> linux machine.

> Regards
> Kumar

>>>Dear Friends,

>>>I wanted to have a dual booting for the linux on my windows box. I
>>>have 2 HDD, one formatted and used for windows 2000.

>>>Then I have installed the 2nd HDD, which is a secondary to by box,
>>>with RED HAT linux 7.2. The following are the partition size that i
>>>have created.
>>>/ - 1GB, /boot - 64 MB, /var-1GB, /usr - 4GB, /home - 2 GB and /temp -
>>>1GB. During the installation, i haved opted for putting the boot
>>>loader in the hdb. Then I have created the boot disk also.

>>>While I try to boot the linux using the boot floopy, i got the
>>>following error
>>> Boot Failed : Please change disks and press a key to continue. "

>>Most likely the boot floppy doesn't contain vmlinuz, which sometime
>>RedHat installer gives.  Does boot fail only when floppy boot?

>>Yuan Liu

>>>can anybody advise m, how to boot. If i didnt use linux boot floopy,
>>>then my Windows works fine.

>>>Note: Do you guys, need to read the content of the LDLINUX system
>>>file, which is in the boot floopy?

>>>Thanks in advance.

>>>kumar

1. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

I put one harddisk in my computer and installed Mandrake7.2.  I then
popped this disk out, popped a new disk in, and installed Windoze 98
on it. I then made this disk the slave (hdb) and put back in my
Mandrake disk as hda, and then booted into Linux (using grub).
Mandrake recognizes my /dev/hdb when I mount it automatically as
/mnt/win98. So, the problem I'm about to describe doesn't seem to be a
problem with the harddisk, slave setting, etc.

I then used DrakConf to change my grub configuration so that it
associated win98 with /dev/hdb1. I then tried rebooting, booting linux
through grub still works fine, but when I choose win98 through grub, I
got the following error:

Booting 'win98'
root(hd1,0)
Error: selected disk does not exist.

I assume that this error is related to the fact that when win98 was
installed on hdb, it was actually hda at the time.  Now it's confused
b/c it's hdb. ??  (said another way: I think the problem is confusion
over the fact that windows was originally installed when that disk was
hda, but now it's hdb.)

I recently read (somewhere on usenet) the following suggestion:

the "map" command under GRUB would trick this second drive (hd1) to
think
that it owned the first partiition, thereby allowing it to dual boot.

#################################
# /boot/grub/menu.lst - generated by Lizard

*** Linux lines cut out to save space

# for booting Windows 98

title  = win98
root  = (hd1,0)
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
###################################

So, I tried this, but not knowing anything about grub, I
think I used the grub command to install it incorrectly,
because when I tried to reboot, grub failed to work properly
at all, and I had to boot with my boot floppy.

So, how can I solve this? Is the grub map approach the
right direction? If so, how do I do it correctly (e.g.,
what do I need to type on the command line after editing
the menu.lst file?)

If not, is there another way. I had a similar problem a couple
of years ago, and someone suggested that I use a program
(which I don't remember the name of) that allowed me to
go in and (I believe) edit the master boot record on my
windows hard drive to tell it that it was now the hdb
drive. I did that successfully that time. Should I try
that again, and if so, what's the program called that
allows me to edit it?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Can LESS scan for boldfaced text?

3. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

4. RH7.3: After install, GRUB does not give login: prompt

5. winxp + fc2 dual-boot - IDE-0 boot record not found

6. rmap15a incremental diff against 2.4.20-ac1

7. Dual boot networked to dual boot

8. ODBC Software

9. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

10. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

11. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

12. Large HD+old BIOS+boot manager+need dual boot =???????

13. Dual booting Windoze 95 and Linux with Quantum Dynamic Boot Loader Installed