Automatic loading of module when mount is09660 fs attempted .

Automatic loading of module when mount is09660 fs attempted .

Post by Ngel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I can (u)mount my SCSI cdrom with

$mount /cdrom.

However as my CD drive is scsi I have to load my scsi module first with:

insmod advansys

Is is possible to configure Linux so that when I do a "mount /cdrom" the
advansys module will be automatically loaded.

Thanks.

Nigel.

Post by Ulrich Eckhard » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Is is possible to configure Linux so that when I do a "mount /cdrom" the
> advansys module will be automatically loaded.

In kernels after 2.2 theres kerneld, a user-space daemon that does that, I
believe. Grab one of those kernels and activate it under 'loadable module
support'.
hth Uli

--
remove "nospam." when replying directly

1. Catch22: /etc/fstab fs "auto and fs module loading by kerneld

I believe that there is a Catch-22 when using kerneld to automatically
mount file systems and filesystem "auto" in /etc/fstab to allow users
to mount floppy disks.  Auto-detection of filesystems is confined
to file system types listed in file /proc/filesystems.  File system
support is not listed in /proc/filesystems until modules are actually
loaded into the kernel.  Hence, file system support must be available
before they can be requested, and they must be requested before they
can be made available.

I realize that one option is to manually use /sbin/insmod to install
modules, but this requires root authority on the part of the user
and complicates the process of allowing users to simply mount floppy
disks.

An alternative would be to allow a comma separated list of file
systems to be specified as an alternative to "auto" in /etc/fstab.
Under this system, successive file system types would be tried until the
filesystem is successfully mounted.  The downside of this would be
temporary bloat of the kernel by "incorrect" file system modules.
Is this an option that I have been unable to gleen from the man pages,
HOWTO's and FAQ's?  Is it a reasonable change for future kernels or
versions of mount?

Dick Repasky

2. solaris 7 exams 310-009 & 310-010

3. Catch-22: /etc/fstab fs "auto" and fs module loading by kerneld

4. The sound of silence

5. automatic loading of sound modules - how?

6. Linux as a Firewall

7. Automatic Module Loading for ieee1394 under RH 7.3

8. help, my server is down, now cannot edit rc.sysinit.d

9. Automatic loading of modules

10. lilo.config to load hda1 to ramdisk & mount it as root fs?

11. uuups: [mount: fs type devpts not supported by kernel] + [MODULES]

12. 2.2.1 fs modules for floppy mounting

13. Need to automatically load a module before mounting the disks