Can't boot from boot floppy

Post by Jon Hard » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Sorry for the newbie question but this one just has got me stumped....

I downloaded all the "a" files onto my HD (Dos partition) and I'm all set to
install the files (Slackware), but I made my boot disk and it won't boot
upon start.

I copied bare.i onto my HD and used rawrite.exe to make a floppy disk
'supposedly' bootable using this command.

c:>rawrite bare.i a:\

Seemed to copy the files just fine.
But upon reboot with the disk in the a: drive, it detects the floppy drive
and I just get a blinking cursor.  I don't know why it doesn't get any
further.
Any help appreciated.
Maxtor 1.2 Gig HD.
16 MB RAM.
? CD ROM.

Email direct,
Thanks
Jon Hardt

1. Newbie: CONFIGURE'd boot floppy - won't boot

I successfully performed a UMSDOS install of the Slackware distribution
(from floppy disks A,AP,Q,U) on my laptop:
   Epson 4SLC/25  (486 25MHz)
   4Mb RAM
   120 MB HD

After the installation completed, it prompted me to create a boot floppy,
which I did (and have re-tried several times, but to no avail).

This boot floppy does not boot - the computer goes through the POST, spins
the floppy once, then just sits there dead in the water.

BTW, I formatted this floppy under DOS both with and without /S;  it didn't
make any difference.

BTW also, I am trying to use the idekern kernel (at least until I can get
a regular boot off my boot floppy).

Any ideas?  The Installation-HOWTO isn't very specific about this kind of
problem.

Question:  If I were to boot using the installation boot/root disks, and
           did an "ls" on this troubled boot floppy, what (if anything)
           should I see?

Many thanks!

-Gerard

2. Toshiba 320CDS & PCMCIA NIC

3. Installation problem: can't boot from boot floppy

4. Install two ppp's (ppp0 ppp1)

5. Can't Boot frrom Boot Floppy (HELP!)

6. most compatible tape drive

7. Can't create lilo boot floppy for 3rd SCSI disk but can boot it

8. Problems compiling socks 4.3 beta 2

9. Boot Floppy Don't Boot

10. RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

11. 1.4.2 boot floppy won't boot

12. Useing floppy only yo boot & PQ's Boot Manager

13. Can't boot anymore from Linux boot floppy