Firewall setup and two network cards PLEASE HELP

Firewall setup and two network cards PLEASE HELP

Post by kendr.. » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

HI all.

At work, we have this linux machine that we are trying to set up a
firewall on.  Basically, this machine acts sort of like a gateway from
the outside (internet) and the inside (lan).  Anyway, the idea is to
have this linux machine with two network cards in it, with one hooked
to the lan, and the other hooked to a router.  Well, the problem is
that the linux machine recognizes the first network card (they're both
3com 3c509's) but for the life of everyone around here, we can't get
the second card to be recognized and get its bindings.  Any help,
questions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Post by Cedric Le Goate » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

> HI all.

> At work, we have this linux machine that we are trying to set up a
> firewall on.  Basically, this machine acts sort of like a gateway from
> the outside (internet) and the inside (lan).  Anyway, the idea is to
> have this linux machine with two network cards in it, with one hooked
> to the lan, and the other hooked to a router.  Well, the problem is
> that the linux machine recognizes the first network card (they're both
> 3com 3c509's) but for the life of everyone around here, we can't get
> the second card to be recognized and get its bindings.  Any help,
> questions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

put a line like this one in your lilo.conf:

        append ="ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=10,0x340,eth1"

and run lilo.

It works perfect for me.

There's also a Multiple-Ethernet mini HOWTO where you'll find info.

brgs

-- C.

| SEAC  -  Division  technique    |                                |
| BP6011   FAAA Airport           |  Phone: (+689) 86-10-30        |
| TAHITI,  French Polynesia       |  Fax:   (+689) 86-10-39        |

Post by J. Delmeric » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

> 3com 3c509's) but for the life of everyone around here, we can't get
> the second card to be recognized and get its bindings.  Any help,

 Are you issuing the ether= command line when booting?  or do you have it
listed in your LILO?  I believe if you have multiple cards you need this
command.  It would look something like
boot ether=5,0x300,0,0,eth0 ether=4,0x340,0,0,eth1

Hope this helps.
James

1. Help me please configuring second network card for router/firewall

For sharing my internet connection thru a wireless isp i want to use a
FREEBSD 4.8 box (cyrix pentium clone).
I out two ne200 compatible isa-nic's in it and first tried to configure the
two cards.
When i started i connected both of these cards to my network switch and
tried to configure them using dhcp (i have an isdn router with dhcp at
present).

Only one now is working and i tried very hard to change (using sysinstall)
the settings. Finally it seems i managed to do that; now i have one card
that connects thsi box to the internal network. If i try to change the
settings of the other card (whilst this card is connected to my internal
network to be able to test by pinging other pc's) i do not succeed to change
teh settings. When i do start up the pc i get an error message indicating
that teh network card is not found at teh address the sysinstall program
gave it at first.

My question is : how can i change the hardware address settings of the card?
Which utility or program or command should i use and how? Also to be able to
again change eg the other settings like yes/no for dhcp.

Whe i tried the "Share the Net" one floppy drive solution i saw that both
cards do function well. This solution is based on a one floppy linux distro.
But i want to do more, therefor i need freebsd. (sofar the most responsive
safe OS on old hardware that i have seen)

i do appreciate your thoughts, comments and help
kind regards

Wim Kapteyn

2. Login Scripts for Win98 workstation How do i do it

3. Trying to setup firewall on linux box with two network cards, cards are not configuring correctly

4. RH 5.0 Plug-n-Play

5. Solaris 8, Please help on SETTING UP PERMANENTLY a second network card

6. sendmail.cf - please mail it me

7. two network cards, two(?) networks, one computer...

8. (no subject)

9. How to setup a Linux Box as a gateway/firewall between two networks?

10. Question: two network cards, IP masquerading, Firewall, etc.

11. Two networks, 3 cards, 1 firewall, advice needed.

12. iptable rules for two networks connected with two firewalls

13. Setup for two network cards