LILO stops at LI (fixed)

Post by Peter W. Me » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I couldn't find the original post (maybe it
expired here) but I have fixed my problem
with LILO refusing to load. It is on a
oversized HD (1224 cylinders) but on a
properly sized partition. LILO quit
when trying to boot with "LI" showing.

I finally added "linear" on a line by
itself in the global section of lilo.conf
and ran LILO again to install it on the HD.
No need (on this machine, at least) to add
information on the actual HD layout.

LILO now boots nicely using the DOS MBR on
/dev/hda and LILO's stuff on /dev/hda1. Thanks
to all for the help.

--

[T]he land's main function [is] to provide marine stores --
it [is] not a place for real existance. <Patrick O'Brian>

1. Sample lilo.conf to solve the LILO stops at LI problem

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=25
linear
verbose=3
disk=/dev/hda
        sectors=63
        heads=64
        cylinders=787
disk=/dev/hdb
        sectors=63
        heads=32
        cylinders=524
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
        label=linux
        alias=rtlinux
        root=/dev/hdb1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-0.7.img
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        alias=msdos
        table=/dev/hda

The line that reads "linear" tells LILO to address the HD "linearly" and
forgo LBA addressing.  The two sections for the geometry of the two
different disks should be self-explanatory.  Most users can get the
information from their CMOS BIOS on bootup.

        Norm

2. problems with a pinnacle pctv studio pro-card

3. Lilo stops on LI

4. Samba access from Win95 with automatic passwords

5. LILO trouble stops with LI

6. unable to read superblock

7. LILO stops loading at LI

8. Problem with RAID

9. LILO stops at LI

10. LILO prints LI and stops

11. Help!! LILO booting stopping on LI

12. Need help please. LILO stopping at LI

13. How to troubleshoot: LILO stops at "LI"