Help please: How do i turn on telnet - new Debian download

Help please: How do i turn on telnet - new Debian download

Post by trio » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Last week i downloaded the latest Debian distribution. Things seemd
to install properly and my new machine is up and running. But i can't
telnet to it from any other machine. I can telnet out. I can ping it and
finger... just no telnet!

   I'm using xinetd instead of inetd and i added telnet to the
xinetd.conf. telnet is in my services file. I have the feeling it's just
some switch or flag or something simple that i'm missing. telnet is not
in the index of the Linux Bible. The man pages don't tell me. What am i
doing wrong?

   If you have any ideas, please contact me directly at the following
address. I have a very hard time keeping up with all the posts here.

   Thank you for any help you may give.

Learn and use The International Language Esperanto!

1. Redhat 5.0 Please please help :) How do i turn relaying protection off ?

I have many reasons for needing to do this, primarily so i can send
mail to places other then on my own site :)  But everytime i send mail
outside my domain i get a relaying denied message.  Its only a 28.8k
link so i'm not worried abuot someone spamming through me, how do i
turn relaying off ?  Please please help! :)  Email responces are
wonderful as well as posts

Todd H. Richert

2. Seeking advice

3. NEW SETTERM96B DOING FUNNY THINGS PLEASE HELP

4. ATI Xpert 2000 ??

5. Debian - [DEBIAN] Stop telnet permanently?

6. F'ed hard disk

7. 3c59x new version, help me please with the new kernels

8. HP JetDirect Print Servers and AIX - Help Needed

9. HELP! FTP/Telnet logins are turned off?

10. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

11. Debian and proprietary software (Debian folks: please read.)

12. PLEASE PLEASE HELP--new to UNIX. Thanks