Linux, Win95 and partition utility

Post by Alain Chagno » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I bought a new pc and i want to use Win95 and Linux and the same drive.
Where should i begin. I knwo i need to partition the drive but
i don't know wich partition utility to use
--
Alain Chagnon
/////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////

Linux, Win95 and partition utility

Post by Tim Curr » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

> I bought a new pc and i want to use Win95 and Linux and the same drive.
> Where should i begin. I knwo i need to partition the drive but
> i don't know wich partition utility to use

  If you haven't used the machine yet and have all the distribution
media for the software that came with it, you should format and
reinstall Windows in a smaller partition. After that's done, install
Linux in the reamining space, across three partitions (one for "/", one
for "/usr", and one for "/swap").
  Use DOS fdisk.exe to make the partition for Windows, then when it's up
and running, use Linux fdisk to create space for Linux and set the
partition types.

-Tim

Post by Bernie Rat » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I bought a new pc and i want to use Win95 and Linux and the same drive.
>Where should i begin. I knwo i need to partition the drive but
>i don't know wich partition utility to use

Just the other day I went thru the partitioning exercise with Windows 95
and Linux...

The Windows fdisk (fdisk(w) for short) seemed to do some funny things,
and generally gives you less information than the Linux fdisk
(fdisk(l)) does. My observations/suggestions are:

Set up all your partitions *before* installing any software.

Certain partition size limits are advantageous under FAT filesystems in
terms of cluster sizes (128M=2K clusters, 256M=4K, 512M=8K, 1024M=16K).
fdisk(w) appears to round the partition size you give it up to the next
cylinder boundary or something to that effect; when I specified 256M I
ended up with more, and thus an 8K cluster size. When I specified 255M,
I got close to 256M and the 4K cluster size. Use format(w) or fdisk(l)
to determine what you really got...

When I created a Linux swap partition as the first logical partition in
the extended partition with fdisk(l), and then used fdisk(w) to create a
logical DOS drive in the extended partition, fdisk(w) killed the Linux
swap partition, although it left most or all of the space allocated.
Putting your DOS logical drives first probably helps.

Bernie

--

Member: Ontario DX Association, Tsuruoka Canadian Budokai
--

Linux, Win95 and partition utility

Post by Anton.Passi.. » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

        Linux fdisk.
        I think it's the best one.

> Hello,

> I bought a new pc and i want to use Win95 and Linux and the same drive.
> Where should i begin. I knwo i need to partition the drive but
> i don't know wich partition utility to use
> --
> Alain Chagnon
> /////////////////////////////

> /////////////////////////////

         * Anton E. PASSIOUK. (IIE. EVRY. FRANCE)             *

         * Homepage : http://www-eleves.iie.cnam.fr/passiouk/ *

Linux, Win95 and partition utility

Post by sandler ily » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>        Linux fdisk.
>        I think it's the best one.

There is also a fips utility which comes with
RedHat Linux and allows to repartition disks
without data destruction...
In my case I first used fips to split
the win-95 disk into 3 partitions, one
left for Win-95 (and I didn't need to reinstall it)
and 2 went for Linux (1 for / and /usr areas
and 1 for swap and home areas).
And later I used the Linux's fdisk to split
one of partitions into 2....

You may also want to read the Partition HOWTO
see
http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html

Hope this helps
regards,
Ilya Sandler

> > Hello,

> > I bought a new pc and i want to use Win95 and Linux and the same drive.
> > Where should i begin. I knwo i need to partition the drive but
> > i don't know wich partition utility to use
> > --
> > Alain Chagnon
> > /////////////////////////////

> > /////////////////////////////
> --
>          ******************************************************
>          * Anton E. PASSIOUK. (IIE. EVRY. FRANCE)             *

>          * Homepage : http://www-eleves.iie.cnam.fr/passiouk/ *
>          ******************************************************

Linux, Win95 and partition utility

Post by Hagba » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:45:51 -0400, sandler ilya

>>        Linux fdisk.
>>        I think it's the best one.

>There is also a fips utility which comes with
>RedHat Linux and allows to repartition disks
>without data destruction...
>In my case I first used fips to split
>the win-95 disk into 3 partitions, one
>left for Win-95 (and I didn't need to reinstall it)
>and 2 went for Linux (1 for / and /usr areas
>and 1 for swap and home areas).
>And later I used the Linux's fdisk to split
>one of partitions into 2....

>You may also want to read the Partition HOWTO
>see
>http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html

I have Win95 on a Pentium with six partitions, with the OS on drive
"C".  I also don't want to backup *nor* repartition the drive to
install Linux.  My bios supports booting from any partition and from
the CD-ROM drive.  What is (or is there) the easiest method for me to
try out Linux without going through the backup and repartition route?

Please rely e-mail . Thanks

...Hag