multiple volumen - auto-spanning archive

multiple volumen - auto-spanning archive

Post by Matias Orchard V » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi there:

    how can I put a big file (more than 400 Mb) in couple of zip disk? I
guess it's using tar, but how it is?

    does anybody know something like multiple volumen using pkzip under
dos (auto-spanning if it is WinZip)?

thanks a lot,

--
Matas Orchard V.

ICQ: 460589

Red Hat Linux 5.2 ~ kernel 2.2.1 ~ KDE 1.0

Post by Jim Reidfor » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi there:

>     how can I put a big file (more than 400 Mb) in couple of zip disk? I
> guess it's using tar, but how it is?

>     does anybody know something like multiple volumen using pkzip under
> dos (auto-spanning if it is WinZip)?

> thanks a lot,

> --
> Matas Orchard V.

> ICQ: 460589

> Red Hat Linux 5.2 ~ kernel 2.2.1 ~ KDE 1.0

There is a -M option to tar for multivolume but I've only used it to
span a couple of floppies and that was successful
--
Jim Reidford

--

"Due to financial constraints,
the light at the end of the tunnel

1. How to archive things spanning the floppy drive?

First of:

Now, is there any way to recursively compress a directory onto several
floppy disks?

I am looking for something comparable to dos' 'pkzip -&rp <zip file> <files
to be zipped>'

This way I can backup my tar/gzip files that I don't need on the hard
drive.

So far, I have tried:  tar -cMzf <new file> <files to be archived>
And I get the message: tar: cannot use multi-volume compressed archives

If I leave the M  option out, I get the eroor mesg:
        tar: Multiple archive files requires --multi-volume

What am I doing wrong? How do you archive onto floppies?

I appreciate any help.

Ujjal Bansel

2. no apps-default file

3. Unzipping multidisk-spanning zip archive

4. how to play music from CD (ANSWER)

5. tulip.c: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers :-(

6. Routing btw Mac and Sun over PPP

7. how to create a .toc file that spans multiple CD's

8. Please tell me what these error messages mean and what I should do.

9. multiple volume spanning with gnutar -M

10. how do you span multiple partitions with the same directory?

11. Spanning a Single File Over Multiple Tapes under Solaris 2.6

12. How to restore a backup spanning multiple volumes?

13. Error messages: eth0: Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers